Equipment racks between speakers

I know this can be subjective but has anyone experienced better acoustics by not having equipment racks between the speakers? I have never had a setup where my equipment rack was off to the side and wasn’t sure if it makes a huge difference not having anything talk and solid in between the speaker placement? I have some long interconnects that can be leveraged to move the equipment on the side but don’t want to go through the hassle if it’s definitely a ‘Yes’ for reducing the clutter between the speakers.

I long time ago I had moved it from between… to the side.

However I cannot recall the reasoning and why I ended up doing that.
Most of the time these choices are  WAF, Feng Shui, or (etc.) driven. 

It must have sounded better, but could have just been easier to get to things.

Not that I've done a comparison but I've always had my equipment rack on the side. Could never understand why other audiophiles would want to place their turntable and especially tubed electronics so close to two sub-woofers. I'd say go for it.

3 hours ago, Gsal said:

Not that I've done a comparison but I've always had my equipment rack on the side. Could never understand why other audiophiles would want to place their turntable and especially tubed electronics so close to two sub-woofers. I'd say go for it.

I used to have my tube mono blocks sitting on my subs 🫣……

• 3 weeks later...

@stratocasterI've tried both with many different systems and the improvement of rack on side wall (away from first and second reflection points) was always apparent. Soundstage and imaging were what improved by getting the rack out from between the speakers. The amount of improvement varies with the gear and room, but it has always been worthwhile.

I've always done this following some common advice found here...keep speaker cables shorter and interconnects longer. I know it's a debated topic, my IMHO, using a balanced amp and preamp with the longer cables being XLR is good to do if practicle for you.

While a stereo amp between the speakers on a low stand works, all other things being equal, monoblocks and even shorter speaker cables would be even better. 

YMMV, good luck...

• Like 3

Always on the side.  I see no reason to subject equipment to micro harmonics by being placed between speakers.

Besides, it's more convenient.  My speaker wires are 25' and there was no audible difference. 

YMMV, of course. 

In my garage, I have 50' of 12 gauge for speaker wire.  Sounds great!  

1 hour ago, Ross B. said:

It should make any difference where the equipment is located. The only part that would matter is how the physical boxes interact with the sound. An equipment rack will act like a diffusor, unless it's got smooth sides and a door. 

I would have thought the same from a diffusion perspective…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I would have thought the same from a diffusion perspective…

If it's off to the side,  it can still affect reflections, and will create asymmetric diffraction. If it's centered, the diffraction will be symmetric. If the system is off to one side, care should be taken to create a similar diffraction environment on the opposite wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Smith's insightful but frustratingly-arranged book Get Better Sound goes on at length about how between the speakers is the worst possible location for the equipment rack, even including this graphic. He says the sidewall location is optimal (assuming it's not at the point of first reflection) because it will have the least impact on bass. Also: "Reflections off the cabinet, even if it's behind the plane of the speakers, will damage some of the inherent time arrival information encoded into your recordings." He says the detrimental effects of longer speaker cables will be outweighed by the advantages.

image.thumb.png.961794608a9915818f5fadce1958b6e4.png

My setup partially violates these rules but works best for me for other practical reasons. I did manage to "borrow" a little space behind the rack by recessing the gypboard; this allows the rack to be set back farther behind the speakers.

image.thumb.png.b5e655b07ab6e629d4f394d1042d12c9.png

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 3:55 PM, John Gallup said:

Jim Smith's insightful but frustratingly-arranged book Get Better Sound goes on at length about how between the speakers is the worst possible location for the equipment rack, even including this graphic. He says the sidewall location is optimal (assuming it's not at the point of first reflection) because it will have the least impact on bass. Also: "Reflections off the cabinet, even if it's behind the plane of the speakers, will damage some of the inherent time arrival information encoded into your recordings." He says the detrimental effects of longer speaker cables will be outweighed by the advantages.

image.thumb.png.961794608a9915818f5fadce1958b6e4.png

My setup partially violates these rules but works best for me for other practical reasons. I did manage to "borrow" a little space behind the rack by recessing the gypboard; this allows the rack to be set back farther behind the speakers.

image.thumb.png.b5e655b07ab6e629d4f394d1042d12c9.png

Jim may be talking about old fashioned stereo cabinets with glass doors and all.  I have heard many systems with an open style rack with all the gear on shelfs sound amazing!  One should be very careful with free advice as often it is worth what was paid.  I hope all Vandersteen owners try what is domestically OK and not be discouraged by these narrow views (including mine) and give up.  When in doubt play your 5 reference recordings and play on with confidence.  RV 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...