Show us your VANDERSTEENS

@Delkat My shim will be 2.25 millimeters thick and the correction for the SRA was negative 7.15 degrees.  So the shim will tilt the cart down a little over 7 degrees.  This is a fairly average correction for even higher end carts and is within the manufacturing spec.  The WallyReference tool will allow me to verify that the bottom of the headshell is perfectly level in terms of azimuith and VTA and then the shim corrects for the cart's stylus variance from ideal

Edited by DividedSky

1 minute ago, DividedSky said:

My shim will be 2.25 millimeters thick and the correction for the SRA was negative 7.15 degrees.  So the shim will tilt the cart down a little over 7 degrees.  This is a fairly average correction for even higher end carts and is within the manufacturing spec.  The WallyReference tool will allow me to verify that the bottom of the headshell is perfectly level in terms of azimuith and VTA and then the shim corrects for the cart's stylus variance from ideal

Wally tools is a well thought out suite of tools / services.  Enjoy the music !!!!!

18 minutes ago, TomicTime said:

Wally tools is a well thought out suite of tools / services.  Enjoy the music !!!!!

Couldn't agree more.  I will add that JR Boisclair has been so fun to talk with and has helped me numerous times solving analog problems.  There is a LOT of good customer service with him and he is such a vinyl fanatic and clearly passionate about continuing to advance analog playback and help like-minded vinyl lovers enhance their rigs.

Edited by DividedSky

5 minutes ago, DividedSky said:

Couldn't agree more.  I will add that JR Boisclair has been so fun to talk with and has helped me numerous times solving analog problems.  There is a LOT of good customer service with him and he is such a vinyl fanatic and clearly passionate about continuing to advance analog playback and help like-minded vinyl lovers enhance their rigs.

so much better than i could have said it !  Analog deserves another ardent champion

• Like 1

Add me to the list of J.R./Wally Tools advocates. The only way to assure that your analog rig is correctly configured. And, J.R. is indeed a wealth of information and most generous with his time.

• Like 1

This is my current setup.   Model 2ce sig 3's.  Not much has changed except I got new(to me) Ayre boxes and some Audioquest interconnects.

Ayre K5-xe mp preamp and Ayre V-5xe power amp.  Using 2 pairs of AQ McKenzie xlr's for all inter-connections and AQ Type 9 for speaker cables.  Ayre really takes things to a new level! Very addicting.

I tried running the power amp direct from my source(mytek brooklyn bridge) bc I was thinking less is more, and it was listenable, however, when I added the Ayre preamp -wow- just amazing.  Everything opened up.  You would think less is more but that preamp somehow gets it right! Very good match.  Shows how important a good volume knob is!

IMG_1640.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BFW said:

I think the sound meter close at hand should also be acknowledged 

I like to do some tweaking sometimes. 😉

18 hours ago, Tomstruck said:

Great set-up love the bourbon close at hand and nothing like a good in there

I like to do some tasting sometimes.  😉

17 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Awesome rig.. what rack is that? Looks bulletproof.

It's DIY, made with 3" maple from  Perfect Plank in CA, McMaster-Carr hardware and standing on Audiopoints. 
That reminds me, should probably do an Oidy's oil treatment this year...

9 hours ago, Sbank said:

It's DIY, made with 3" maple from  Perfect Plank in CA, McMaster-Carr hardware and standing on Audiopoints. 
That reminds me, should probably do an Oidy's oil treatment this year...

Osmo is what they use here.
There is a US product Rubio or some catalyst “oil” that is supposed to be pretty good. 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:31 PM, TomicTime said:

New room…… new sonic frontiers… but w Vandy powered bass and EQ = zero sonic worries…. 

C3757040-1DDA-420E-9326-D3F9BC559799.jpeg

Jim, how do you like the old Sonic Frontiers gear with your 7's?  hehe. 

• Like 1

After reading this thread, I need to move some furniture around in the listening loft.  I too have a huge TV I between and fake plants covering the M5 mono's and the talk ficus on the sides of the TV, but the room is a strange shape and it's a mess behind the listening chairs.  I need to fix all of that now. Thanks guys.  I also wish I knew more about in room sound products.  That's the one area I suck as for set ups.  None of my close dealer buddies ever seem to be into selling them and I wish they would.

• Like 1

My recollection is none of the Magnificent 7 dealers have over treated rooms…. from my visits to 3 of the 7 ( so far ), the common denominator is a bit of natural absorption w carpet or rugs, some plants / silk trees, a bit of brick a brac stuff and very typical Core Audio or similar wood Quadratic Residue diffusers. My plan exactly……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1