Show us your VANDERSTEENS

Lofts that open into a hallway and down a stair case is actually decent for bass. NO standing waves at all. I also don't have any real slap echo issues.  I am about to put up a really nice quilt my wife loves on the side wall by the stairs and I'm in the process of changing out the thin curtains on the window on the side of the left Quatro to something that looks nicer and hopefully will sound better.  (Jim, didn't you have in idea of a decent window treatment??).  I still need to sell my Roland electric drums set that I had in the loft as well as the weight machine I dont' need anymore.  That will also help the room a tad I'm sure.

• Like 1

Guys, I just realized the foot rest for the other chair is standing on end (we always have it in front of the far left chair, but I was cleaning.  Yes, that window is the one I need to treat on the left side.  I have plantation blinds on all the downstairs windows.  I could install them up there and then I'd instal the same ones on the half moon window on the opposite wall of the system.

The room behind the system is the downstairs living room and its 20' high ceiling.  The open hallway/stairway and three rooms upstairs are on the right side of the room. I keep the there doors closed when listening.  

The quilts aren't Brenda's. We purchased them together at a local craft fair.  I have been wanting to hang them on the stairway wall as Rutan told me I should. that was a few years ago.  

It does look like an easily treatable room/loft Pete. I love rooms like this (dens, lofts....) as they still feel like part of the home, as opposed to going down into the basement. I bet you can really crank it up in that loft when the urge strikes and no one is home  👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

@stebaht thanks for sharing the picture that shows the other side of the room. You hadn't shared that perspective before..The wooden beam ceilings are so damn cool and am sure they must be playing a huge part in the sonic signature... Beautiful room.

Thanks, stratocaster! Yep, the room sounds fantastic (it is 16x45x11). Downside is we live on a noisy street in a noisy city! Luckily my neighbor is also an audiophile and doesn’t mind when we play loud a little later in the evening. He likes to bring his records down too!

• Like 3

First time Vandersteen owner! Just unboxed my Treo CT’s yesterday and am enjoying my first listening session. Absolutely stunned at the musicality, imaging, and sheer physical presence of these speakers. Just wanted to share a few pictures 😊

System: 

AQ Niagara 1200

Rega Planar 6 w/ Ania MC 

Rega Fono MC

Rega Aethos

AQ Rocket 88

Treo CT

p.s. don’t worry about the radiator 

IMG_3903.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Love the light grill cloth w dark veneer…… stunning….

I am contemplating the complex mathematical model and patent for the cast iron horizontal stacked bi-radial partial quadratic residue diffuser…..

I do my best work with wine and music.

Bet your system sounds FANTASTIC…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/14/2024 at 12:31 AM, Bruskie said:

It does look like an easily treatable room/loft Pete. I love rooms like this (dens, lofts....) as they still feel like part of the home, as opposed to going down into the basement. I bet you can really crank it up in that loft when the urge strikes and no one is home  👍

YES...I do crank it up when I'm alone. With Brenda now working from the house nearly all the time, I can't listen as much as I want to though.  The best part about making upgrades, I can listen at lower levels now and not feel like I'm missing much at all.  It wasn't like that with my previous systems.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is my modest Vandersteen 2ci setup based around streaming music from my Apple TV. I have a Luxman receiver I use as a tuner,  a Saga S pre-amp, two Hafler DH-120's, a mhdt lab tube (JJ 6386LGP) dac, and for tv I use a Schiit modi+ with a Loki mini EQ to boost the treble. I'm listening to Dinah Washington again.

I've recently found I get a better sound by boosting the tweeter level by 1db and reducing the midrange by 1db. It gives a nice U-shape EQ to the sound.

IMG_4360.jpg

• Like 3