Can it be done [Ear/headphones phase and time correct]

Traveling is my primary headphone use case, and I used headphones quite a bit during the world shutdown (to drown out family ambient noise). I also use headphones for listening late at night when the scotch and music keep calling but the family has gone to bed.  My current DAP is the Chord Mojo/Poly combination. The Poly UI is horrible but I am a fan of the Chord sound. 

Ahh, thanks. I have no experience with Chord, hence my ignorance.

A quick Google shows Chord works with Roon. Have you tried using that instead?

I just switched to Innous, and despite not wanting to pay for yet another software program, I ended up being sold on Roon. -Very nice interface, IMHO.

B

The Roon aspect is good, but as this is my portable rig Roon does me no good. Roon is my primary digital interface at home.

I was on the fence about Innous, read good things, and almost pulled the trigger. The hard drive cost and the fact that Roon was having a sale on Nucleus + pushed me to Nucleus. 

I amusing Roon at home right now.  I'm not a fan sound wise, but love what it brings to the table.  J River is better sounding as is Ping.  I am currently using an AK DAP (newer one).  There are some great DAP's out there.

@Huang,

I am using Roon with my Innous streamers. Not the Roon system.

After using Bluesound Nodes, I find the Roon software app to be one of the better ones out there. IMHO.

@ctsooner

I didn't think there would be a difference between Roon and JRiver. What would cause the difference in sound quality? Can it be minimalized in the audio output settings?

Bob

Bob, I have no idea why, but I have gone back and forth and it was fairly obvious to me. I have a friend who writes for TAS and he says the same thing and he's the one who reviewed (very positively) the Innuous Extreme and now has what may be the best server/streamer made in for review. He and I have some similar likes, but we do differ a lot of the time, but we both have heard the same differences.  

BTW, I'm using Roon right now and am liking it a ton. The sound difference isn't large, but it's there.  

Well, as I have said before- Digital streaming is in it's infancy. I have no doubt that in less than 10 years it will mature to the point of equaling analog.

I make this statement as I followed digital photography from the beginning of the century till today. In less than 20 years, digital photography has surpassed film. Not only a higher resolution that could be achieved, but the ability to mimic film types are just a mouse click away.

I think digital audio will be much the same. Think about having a filter that will mimic your favorite cartridge/tonearm combination.

Bob

I like digital, I think analog still rules as of today. I have two flavors of DAC, PS Audio DS, and Chord. The PS Audio I think is closest to analog, but the Chord with the Mscaler has to be heard, there is a realism that is uncanny. Bruce at Stereo Unlimited said he has yet to have someone demo it and not buy one. The Cord is on my Treos, The PS Audio is on the Dunlavys. One day I will have to swap and see the differences.

17 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Analog is King!  This blog is proof as it is dominated by Vandersteen Owners talking about how they polish the digital  turd!  HaHa!  Nobody talking about how to get good analog because it is good.  I bet I'll get flamed for this one.🥵

RV

Richard,

I can already sense an angry mob brandishing pitchforks and scythes marching towards you. I guess it’s time to fix a bowl of popcorn and some soda and enjoy the show. 😝

No flaming from me.

I just see a digital future coming, despite what analog lovers believe.

The only thing I will agree on is that live music will always outperform any recording.- And, you can't get any more analog than that.☺️

B

Richard how do you really feel... 😂. I have to say I was digital only for a long time. Then I got my first big boy TT.  Shortly there after I got my Treos I have to admit I waited too long for both & it is probably no coincidence one led to another.

Guys, I currently own the best or at worst, second best streamer, server made.  I have the most up to date hardware and software and many T's of mostly high res music.  Much of it is very well recorded, in addition to a lot of live studio recordings that were ripped directly from the tape.

Most of you know my system by now and it's singing.  I love my music.  I can no longer use a turntable, but I promise you that I keep dreaming of owning even a fairly entry level one.  I had this conversation with Richard yesterday.  I agree with those who say that all digital still misses out on some of the emotion (is that the correct word?  Others say emotion or goosebump factor).  I can say that my new player is MUCH closer to analog in goosebump factor.  To me, that supports what Bob is saying and that's in time, it may be able to catch up or even surpass analog, but not for a bit.  It's also much more expensive to get top digital sound.  Digital can do many things that analog can't do and we all are sensitive to different things.  If you never really feel goosebumps, then that analog fight goes out the window.  You all get where I'm going.

There is a need for digital.  High res streaming is in the future.  Just look at what Apple just announced.  Even they are going to CD quality as folks really do want that.  There is a place for both analog and digital.  I won't be getting an analog rig anytime soon (ever again), but I will always dream about it and enjoy it at the dealers I get to visit.  :)