• 4 months later...

This is an older thread, but reading through many of my experiences are similar to other forum members. I decided to resurrect my turntable and upgrade / replace my preamp in early 2000. Everything had changed by then from the last time I bought significant components. Electrical conditioning and transmission was a newer thing.

Upgrading the preamp was a curse. The Classe CP47.5 Mk II is not forgiving and let me know of all the flaws I had in my system. By contrast my old PS Audio IVH had sins of omission. It was limited by design so it simply couldn't resolve as much signal info, but what was there was convincing enough back then.

I bought a voltage stabilizer. I noticed my turntable speed was more stable. As I shone my florescent lamp on the strobe, the strobe lines were held more still. The CD player became more relaxed sounding. Pitch was more accurate. I noticed through the front panel readouts AC in the big city was slightly higher than 120 V so it was backing down voltage to correct. The preamp sound significantly improved. I was enjoying more natural decay of sounds. So the harmonics from a piano box came through after the initial fingers striking the keys. I started to realize what the device designers were trying to achieve. I also acquired an AC conditioner. I noticed my CD player sound cleaned up. Trying upgrade power cords upped the ante. Television pictures became more vivid and defined. The preamp and CD player are very reactive to power cords and also the power amp. The right cord combos brought out larger soundstage and more details in timber, harmonics, and decay. I bought an old Shunyata H2 conditioner for my power amp. It significantly cleaned up the sound and things like micro-dynamic shading, musicians being fleshed out became noticeable. I started to realize why Simaudio spent the time and research to develop the amp and what they wanted the owner to experience. My Shunyata dealer (no longer around) let me try at home with different power cords to try.

As the years passed the tech advanced and the power cords and conditioner products benefited. More is now available. But you have to still try at home to see if the $$$ makes meaningful improvements. Currently I'm running the Shunyata Delta NR cords in my living room. They play well with my existing power conditioning equipment and do the best with my critical sources. These are the ones I use the most when I power up the system. The compatibility and synergy is what makes or breaks buying decisions for me with cords and conditioners.

My other system is more forgiving, and the upgraded cords make their way there. They become upgrades and generally improve the bedroom system. Upgraded cords from there have made their way to my friend's systems. He moved out of the city and I helped setup his mancave systems. It's astonishing. Same gear, different power cords, improved sound.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

The preamp and CD player are very reactive to power cords and also the power amp.

Hi Boom Boom,

I have been told by a previous employee (service tech) of Audio Research that their preamps (I have a SP-17) react to power cords more so than other preamps.  I'm considering upgrading mine.  In-home auditions are certainly most desirable.  

• Like 1

I agree about in home auditions. No question.  I have had a few very high end cords in the house and that includes some esoteric ones, but for the best balance, I love Garth’s  collection from Audioquest best. He just makes cables and cords that get out of the way. I have always loved Shynata power gear, but I like AQ better in my room. 

55 minutes ago, Stringreen said:

A few years ago I happen to be in France, and parked off the beach in Cannes was the Ronald Regan.    They were running small craft back and forth for Americans....A great experience.

Did it 'Trickle Down'?🙃

B

• Haha 1

I think RV's list is good.  He left off the room and room treatment.  There's a lot to be gained by going after minimizing room issues.   Go for bass absorption first.  Power cords make a difference.  Everything makes a difference.  It all depends on what stone you're stepping from.  And, if it comes to a sacrifice, more music beats all.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Most of the aftermarket power cords will not fit because of clearance issues.  Try them before you buy them and make sure the stock cords are the weakest link in your system to be investing in wisely.  Most of the changes the aftermarket power cords make like tighter bass (turn the contour down slightly) and more bass (turn the subwoofer level up slightly), etc.  Once you have Model SEVENS, M7-HPA amplifier, best pre-amp/phono stage, turntable, cartridge, interconnects, equipment rack, digital and a large record collection your power cords on our sub amps may be the best place left to invest in!  Investing in any other priority will only delay your ultimate goal amongst the better source and speaker where the big differences lie.

RV

And for older Model 7 owners, don't forget the Bedrock Granite Bases and of course the Sub NINES  🙂

• Like 1

and for another hint….the M5 and M7 include vibration isolation IN the design… I personally would make sure every component other than Vandy amps and speakers was sitting on HRS isolation before buying a subwoofer power cord…

Even my 1961 Mc240 amp rides on Nimbus couplers….

Just my $1.50 

Best to all.

Jim

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:30 AM, Ross B. said:

The elephant in the room is really power generation. Personally, I find hydroelectric to be the most musical, since any sort of steam-driven system is subject to variations due to fluctuating temperature and pressure 🙃

Punk music is better with steam. 😉

On 11/3/2020 at 10:50 AM, Steve Edwards said:

ct, are you a customer of John Rutan?  Do you live near Audio Connection?  I have a long distance relationship with him.  I don't plan on leaving California anytime soon, but I sure would love to be close to his business.  Of  course, if that were the case, my bank account would be significantly reduced   🙂.  He is a beacon in the world of retail audio.  

(wish he had a branch in Scottsdale, Az as well)

• Like 1

As long as he’s got a previous relationship, it makes sense to trust him. I have purchased from many of he Vandy dealers around  North  America. Never met one I did t like and that includes some who no longer sell the line. This is what it’s important to have a good dealer who you can trust to give it straight and be fair. Rutan passes with flying colors as does Bruce, Jon, Al, Joe and most others.