2WQ from Rel T9

Huang

Last weekend my Rel sub gave up the ghost I believe it's the amp, fusses are good. Well I had been thinking about a Vandersteen sub, cause they blend so well and Stratocaster's sounded so good. The Sub 3 is where I probably end up but I was offered a 2WQ with two M5-HPs for a great price.

The filter battery was marked 2021 so I swapped them out. I have access to a full electronics lab so it was pretty painless. What I did notice was the battery was ready to go (see pictures). If you have filters with batteries CHECK THEM! It would be bad to have battery ooze on Richard's fine boards.

My other question is how does the HP filter work. I know you put it after the preamp, then connect to the amp. If the output of the pre is HP filtered how does the low frequency information get to the sub?

• 2 weeks later...

Huang, on this site is a tribute to Dich Hardesty which you should download the issue about sub woofers.  Dick did a better job of explaining how our 2Wq/SUB THREE works than I ever could as he was a writer.  Dick was a very good musician (piano), engineer, writer and had Havens and Hardesty audio store.  He had a gift to write complex subjects and make them simple.  Read his sub-woofer issue and you will know more about subs than you wanted to.

RV

• Like 1

I bought my first pair of Vandersteens (2C's) around 1986 from Richard at Havens and Hardesty.  He provided me with my first introduction into high end audio equipment, and, as RV states, he could explain complicated audio / electronic functions in understandable terms.

Huang, you would be better off finding a 2Wq in good condition used to match your existing one.  The SUB THREE is a much better sub as it has more power, improved cast basket drivers, a more powerful power factor corrected regulated switching power supply and room EQ (11 bands).    I think it would be better to have them matched or sell the 2Wq and get a SUB THREE and add another later when funds are available and use the room EQ. 

RV

• Like 1

Yup, moving to the Sub 3 definitely improved my system. Even at list price, the cost isn't that bad for what you can achieve. Room correction will make your speakers perform closer to the next model up.

@Huang, I still don't understand why you have 2 M5-HP's? I hate to be nosy, but I never heard of anyone with a single sub having 2 crossovers.-Unless someone was only selling a pair...

In any case, you can use them with either a second 2WQ or a pair of Sub 3's.

B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Yup, moving to the Sub 3 definitely improved my system. Even at list price, the cost isn't that bad for what you can achieve. Room correction will make your speakers perform closer to the next model up.

@Huang, I still don't understand why you have 2 M5-HP's? I hate to be nosy, but I never heard of anyone with a single sub having 2 crossovers.-Unless someone was only selling a pair...

In any case, you can use them with either a second 2WQ or a pair of Sub 3's.

B

One needs a pair or 2 M5-HPB's, I think , because they are mono units.

RV

9 minutes ago, Huang said:

Bob, correct I have one M5-Hp on each amplifier channel input (left and right). There’s a left and right input on the 2WQ  so, am I doing something wrong? 

Nope. You have it optimally connected. 

Yes, you could use only one filter and connect it to only one channel, but that would assume the bass is the same in both the left and right channels. 

@GdnrBob how have you connected your Sub3? You need a pair of crossovers (fixed or MPs) irrespective of whether you are using a single or dual sub. I have seen some amp manufacturers incorporate a crossover internally for the subs (especially Ayre) but I would still expect that both channels would get that customization.

@nrentertheoretically you can connect just one filter but in reality it’s counter intuitive since from a stereo perspective there’s hardly any processor or preamp on the market that can cleverly collate the bass frequencies and route it to a single channel and present the music the way it’s supposed to be. At that point you may as well use the 2wq as a coffee table or trade it in for a V2w and let the processor send everything to the LFE channel…