Hello fellow Vandy fans,

I see the speaker is now on the Forum on a different topic. I feel comfortable to post and sing the praises of Richard's 7 upgrade. The history is after listening to the Kento, despite being very impressed, last Thanksgiving I decided to upgrade to the 7 mk2 from my 5 carbons. My dealer called in the order and was told that the XTRM was coming. This is another example of the integrity of the organization. They could have simply taken the order. Late spring I received my 7XTRMS. I am stunned with their performance and yes their potential. I have hours on them, but I am sure they will open up even more with use. I understand that Vandy is getting demo units to dealers now and I highly recommend that you seek them out and listen! I have included some pics of my system. 

20BDD8A3-6A17-4583-91D3-0EA55BB5210B.jpeg

CFDC9A6E-B76F-45BA-8865-628D27139AEC.jpeg

80F4AFFC-7623-43AA-901D-E04D02D7D90A.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Bob, you could always buy Johnny's 7's so that he can get teh new ones in!  ha ha

I wish I had the space.

The Treo's fit perfectly. Even the Kento's are too large.

And, given my reduced hearing abilities, I am hesitant to spend any more on loudspeakers-especially when am so happy with what I have.

Bob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Steve, nothing wrong with having fantasies. Life wouldn't be much fun without them.

At least you don't have the plaque that the warden in Shawshank Redemption had in his office.😉

B

I must be living a fun life as I fantasize all the time, but that's a thread for another time 😉.  I dont' know you guys well enough, ha.   (sorry, had to)

• Like 1

I like “No Country for Old Men” because it is a bit sparse on music and sound…
(Save some money on a sound system… when you watch only silently movies 😉 )

@LafayettePREThat system looks… well I think “envy” might be the right word to use here? 

Edited by Holmz

On 8/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, LafayettePRE said:

Hello fellow Vandy fans,

I see the speaker is now on the Forum on a different topic. I feel comfortable to post and sing the praises of Richard's 7 upgrade. The history is after listening to the Kento, despite being very impressed, last Thanksgiving I decided to upgrade to the 7 mk2 from my 5 carbons. My dealer called in the order and was told that the XTRM was coming. This is another example of the integrity of the organization. They could have simply taken the order. Late spring I received my 7XTRMS. I am stunned with their performance and yes their potential. I have hours on them, but I am sure they will open up even more with use. I understand that Vandy is getting demo units to dealers now and I highly recommend that you seek them out and listen! I have included some pics of my system. 

20BDD8A3-6A17-4583-91D3-0EA55BB5210B.jpeg

CFDC9A6E-B76F-45BA-8865-628D27139AEC.jpeg

80F4AFFC-7623-43AA-901D-E04D02D7D90A.jpeg

That’s a sick system. I’m so happy for all you guys who can have the 7’s and all they deserve.  

Lots of envelope pushing by some folks lol. Now I have to find a dealer or one of you who has the new XTRM, Sub 9’s, M7HPA and a top pre and source.  I’m ready to audition 

Hey folks. learning the forum and trying to catch up. I smile seeing the banter of guys that obviously know each other. I also really appreciate the positive comments. Now to the challenge about my choice of artwork, the rest of the room (15ft ceiling) includes Kandinsky, Klee, Matisse, de Kooning and Malevotich. The middle painting is of course Monet.  Smiling about the Van Gogh's ear issue, I understand that Beethoven could not hear. What do you know ....?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LafayettePRE said:

Hey folks. learning the forum and trying to catch up. I smile seeing the banter of guys that obviously know each other.

….

Actually I new here.
I tried to suck in @ctsooner with an airforce joke in another thread, but he was too wise to respond. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Holmz said:

Actually I new here.
I tried to suck in @ctsooner with an airforce joke in another thread, but he was too wise to respond. 

😉.  Ha....  were you USAF?  If so, thanks man.  I"m a retired Naval Commander (Surface Warfare Officer/ship driver).  

Welcome to all the new guys on the board. 

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

😉.  Ha....  were you USAF?  If so, thanks man.  I"m a retired Naval Commander (Surface Warfare Officer/ship driver).  

Welcome to all the new guys on the board. 

No I was not in the AF.

It was a comment in the 2.1 to 5.2 thread on the 26th…
(Why would be boat/ship be named after a place associated with flight ?
It’s just not at all wright to do so.)

30 minutes ago, Holmz said:

No I was not in the AF.

It was a comment in the 2.1 to 5.2 thread on the 26th…
(Why would be boat/ship be named after a place associated with flight ?
It’s just not at all wright to do so.)

Aircraft carrier. HA. Kitty Hawk class was the Kitty, Constalation and the Kennedy if I recall correctly.  We are the ones who ran over the Soviet Victor class sub in the South China Sea, March tenth 1984. I was in charge of the repair efforts 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:28 AM, ctsooner said:

Aircraft carrier. HA. Kitty Hawk class was the Kitty, Constalation and the Kennedy if I recall correctly.  We are the ones who ran over the Soviet Victor class sub in the South China Sea, March tenth 1984. I was in charge of the repair efforts 

I think that K-129 had also hit a whale a couple of decades earlier?

8 minutes ago, Holmz said:

I was reading about current source versus voltage source amplifiers and I may be a bit confused.
When we see impedance versus frequency, how  are those values determined?
Is it a steady state measurement or a swept chirp?

And then what happens for say from a pure delta Dirac type of impulse or for a step?
If the speaker has a graph the sensitivity as a function of the frequency, does the actual FFT of the speaker’s measured impulse differ from the FFT of the input voltage by exactly the same amount as the it’s sensitivity graph would show?

I guess it must?

On 9/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, Holmz said:

I think that K-129 had also hit a whale a couple of decades earlier?

A whale ?  Seriously?  If so that’s crazy

3 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

A whale ?  Seriously?  If so that’s crazy

My sailing friend said that when people hit things in the water that they always say it was a whale so that the insurance would pay.

I guess you don’t know the K-129?… it does sound like a replacement tube, and had the same basic shape as a vacuum tube…. But your story reminded me of the Azorian story..

• 3 weeks later...

This comment is very late to the game, maybe best since possibly it will not be welcome and will be read by few.  But I must make it.

Look I'm sure no one means any harm here.  My non-audio comment below is made to recalibrate the discussion.

To me running over a whale is sad.  Presumably injuring it, possibly fatally.  Not funny.  It is a benign creature that means no harm to the world, and has a right to live out its life without being tortured by human beings.

Back to audio, and hopefully staying there...  As for fantasizing and wondering if one should be content with what one has, especially if one likes it a lot, I am going through that exact experience now with regard to adding the XTRM upgrade to my Seven MkIIs that already have the Sub 9s, which themselves have made a very nice difference.  I do appreciate LafayettePre's comment about the XTRM, and Richard's earlier comment on the Forum that both together bring a system to state of the art.  But how far away is state of the art now with my sub 9s?  Johnny Rutan is scheduled to have his XTRMs set up for audition in November, possibly with the sub 9s so one can discern the difference the XTRM makes with and without the subs.

I've been laboring for a while here to attach a photo of my system, but no matter what I've tried, it always posts upside down, even when I edit it to be upside down to begin with so that it hopefully will display rightside up when attached here.  But it won't.

Jim Heckman

Jim, doing the upgrade to the XTRM will improve your sound again but we need some perspective.  Adding the SUB NINE and the Bedrock to any version of the Model SEVEN is the biggest improvement for many reasons.  Next would be the M7-HPA amplifier as it is what all of the SEVEN's were designed with and optimized for.  Next would be getting all the wires optimized.  Next would be the XTRM upgrade or what ever the latest version might be by then.  This sequence is optimized for best improvements for the investment.  All this could cause a reader to lose sight of the fact that stopping anywhere in the sequence would leave them with higher performance than any other $200,000.00 investment musically.

RV 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Heckman said:

This comment is very late to the game, maybe best since possibly it will not be welcome and will be read by few.  But I must make it.

Look I'm sure no one means any harm here.  My non-audio comment below is made to recalibrate the discussion.

To me running over a whale is sad.  Presumably injuring it, possibly fatally.  Not funny.  It is a benign creature that means no harm to the world, and has a right to live out its life without being tortured by human beings.

Back to audio, and hopefully staying there...  As for fantasizing and wondering if one should be content with what one has, especially if one likes it a lot, I am going through that exact experience now with regard to adding the XTRM upgrade to my Seven MkIIs that already have the Sub 9s, which themselves have made a very nice difference.  I do appreciate LafayettePre's comment about the XTRM, and Richard's earlier comment on the Forum that both together bring a system to state of the art.  But how far away is state of the art now with my sub 9s?  Johnny Rutan is scheduled to have his XTRMs set up for audition in November, possibly with the sub 9s so one can discern the difference the XTRM makes with and without the subs.

I've been laboring for a while here to attach a photo of my system, but no matter what I've tried, it always posts upside down, even when I edit it to be upside down to begin with so that it hopefully will display rightside up when attached here.  But it won't.

Jim Heckman

Your picture appears upright to me.  Nice setup.