Subwoofer Power Cords

I'm still on the fence.  I liked the Treo's better when they were pulled out into the room a bit and only about 8' apart.  It's too difficult for me to move these out and do the bass EQ.  You really need two people to do this and I don't have that.  

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I'm still on the fence.  I liked the Treo's better when they were pulled out into the room a bit and only about 8' apart.  It's too difficult for me to move these out and do the bass EQ.  You really need two people to do this and I don't have that.  

I've been able to move such speakers myself by sliding  a couple of 2 x 2s under them (one at a time) as skids,  and then very carefully inching them this way and that. This is over wood floors; it might be easier with carpeting. It's still kinda scary.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread.

@BKDad,

I was thinking about an Aston Martin a few years ago, but ended up getting an Audi TTS. Quatro makes it usable in snow, and Aston Martin's depreciate so much...

I just had John Rutan install my Sub 3's. I bought a pair of AQ Thunder power cords, but no go. The amp fins block the plug.

Johnny says they have a replacement plug, so I guess that will be my next move. Will it make a difference from the stock cable is anyone's guess, but I figure it can't hurt.

BTW, the new Sub 3's come with a locking plug at the sub end-Something I did not know about.

Bob

Bob, 

He uses a great cords for his amps and uses the new locking plus.  As for plugs, they will use a Furetech plug, but they don't have many on hand.  I'm not sure if they are willing to do this anymore.  You can always ask.  I am going to be getting a pair of Monsoon cords for my Quatro's as that's a really significant upgrade and it even will clean up the midrange a touch.  It's a great price point for the Quatro's as an upgrade for me.

Not sure if this helps.

9 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Just found this thread.

@BKDad,

I was thinking about an Aston Martin a few years ago, but ended up getting an Audi TTS. Quatro makes it usable in snow, and Aston Martin's depreciate so much...

I just had John Rutan install my Sub 3's. I bought a pair of AQ Thunder power cords, but no go. The amp fins block the plug.

Johnny says they have a replacement plug, so I guess that will be my next move. Will it make a difference from the stock cable is anyone's guess, but I figure it can't hurt.

BTW, the new Sub 3's come with a locking plug at the sub end-Something I did not know about.

Bob

I had John ask Audioquest to replace the IEC connector so they would work with my Model 7 subwoofer amps.  That's exactly what they did.  I am sure they will make these for you.

• 1 month later...

For my SUB THREES it would be better to have 3ft power cords with right angle plugs (where they go into the outlet).

I purchased 14 gauge UL Listed cords and found the same locking IEC connectors that came with the subs and wired them up.

For the specific case of subwoofer power cables, I think it is critical to continue to use the locking mechanism where they go into the amplifier.

These things VIBRATE and I would totally expect a standard IEC connector to work itself loose after years of use.

IMG_6860.jpeg

Perhaps I should let them marinate in whipped cream for a few days to ensure they sound sweet?

Edited by Robertsmania

I loved that album as a young kid.  Dad had it.  LOL...  

As for power cords, I doubt that any of the new AQ connectors would ever come loose.  I've had most name brand and other cables and cords in and out of my system over the last few years and these things grasp as tight as anything on the market.  I own a Basis cord that AJ gave me about a year before he left us (RIP to both AJ and Charlie who were just wonderful people when you got to know them.  just brilliant and passionate).  He uses the to Furetech connectors and even they aren't as strong a hold as what Garth has produced.  

What folks don't always realize is that Garth uses cancellation to reject the RFI etc...  It's why his cords make a difference, even on Richards amps where the power supplies are implemented specifically to reject and filter.  It's why I alway end up choosing AQ cables and cords when doing blinds.  It's really crazy.  

• Like 1

Well, Alasdair responded and they do have the plugs. Unfortunately, they have to install them. 

I just inquired about a right angle plug.

Aside:

I really wish Audioquest would look into an articulating termination as their new cables are so damned unwieldy.

Not everyone has 6-8 inches behind their equipment. I had to resort to right angle adapters in order to use my power cords.

Bob

• Like 1

Well, they didn't have any right angle connectors, but I did manage to find one on Amazon that fit the Sub 3's. It took a bit of work, but I got my Tornado's hooked up.

As I told Alasdair,  I felt like I was trying to hold onto a snake- Marlin Perkin's style (Remember Wild Kingdom?).

I pity the poor equipment that has to endure the twisting  and pressure those power cord exert. In fact, I think it was one of the reasons my Ayre Codex got grounded out.

Bob

I've heard the name, but never known anyone who owns them.  Good to hear your thoughts. There are a lot of good cords/cables on the market.  Many are just junk.  When I mentioned cables and cords I've had in the system over time from stores or friends, I forgot to mention Synergistic Research.  Heck, I owned their top power conditioner with their top power cord.  I didn't like it. I sold it and bought the Niagara 1000. 

This is a nice review of a slew of power cables.  With any review just remember this is one person’s opinion but I think his descriptions are pretty accurate.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/amp/

For Sablon Audio this does not cover their top 2 cables, the Prince and the King.  Those reviews are covered elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing.  I own a 6' length of Basis power cord that is really special.  I may be selling it as I have a much more expensive power cord that may be better.  I'm still auditioning.  It's list is 2400 USD and I have it going up against the Dragon when I get it.  I wish I had the Firebird in house as that's the cord it should be going up against (lists for $5800 for 2m).  As I have said, I may sound like an Audioquest shill, but I am more than open to others as I've almost always used a variety of cables and cords.  I just find anything Garth makes to be better than anything else in their respective price ranges.  Some smaller companies do crush it though and often with much less overhead and a better price point.  

1 minute ago, ctsooner said:

Thanks for sharing.  I own a 6' length of Basis power cord that is really special.  I may be selling it as I have a much more expensive power cord that may be better.  I'm still auditioning.  It's list is 2400 USD and I have it going up against the Dragon when I get it.  I wish I had the Firebird in house as that's the cord it should be going up against (lists for $5800 for 2m).  As I have said, I may sound like an Audioquest shill, but I am more than open to others as I've almost always used a variety of cables and cords.  I just find anything Garth makes to be better than anything else in their respective price ranges.  Some smaller companies do crush it though and often with much less overhead and a better price point.  

I found the Sablon cords to be more neutral than the Audioquest.  It is a matter of personal preference. I am still using Hurricanes for my M7-HPAs.

Since there is no middle man with Sablon you do get a great value.  Maybe you can get on the demo list if you are interested.

• Like 2

I would love to demo their stuff.  I have a Niagara 3000 with a Dragon cord and 2 Hurricane cords for the Quatro's coming on the 10th.  The two Hurricanes I use for the M5-HPA's  with the 20amp termination, arrived an hour ago.  I also have the new 3' length of William Tell Silver showing up on the 10th too.  I now have to sell everything else.  If I like the Basis cord on my Server/DAC better, I'll keep it.  If I don't, I'll get a new power cord for it.  So many changes and I now have ot figure out a way to set the speakers up properly.  I have to get some help to figure out the tilt.