Do newer Treo/Quatro trump original Model 5s?

Ross B.

I've seen the original Model 5 come up for sale below $5,000, which makes it a very tempting upgrade for my 3A's. But I wonder, with so many iterations of the Treo and Quatro that have come out since the Model 5 was introduced, is there a point at which a Treo or Quatro would actually be the better speaker compared to an original Model 5?

I have 5As, and find it difficult to see how much better things can get.  I know they can, and do, but I think the increases are marginal.  I have three systems setup at the moment, and I love each.  5As in one, S7t in a second, Unified 3 Mk2 in a third.  All make wonderful music.  I had two audiophile friends over two weekends ago, and one preferred the 5As (he has Vandersteen at home) the other preferred the S7t.  But all agreed each set up made wonderful reproduced music.  

• Thanks 1

The Quatro and 5's are different beasts.  A new pair of Quatro's with the CF tweeter is better for my money.  That tweeter in the Quatro really is much better, plus the capacitors etc.. in the new Quatro will be much better also.  That makes a huge difference to my ears.  JMHO

Any of the floor standing speakers with the carbon tweeter also have the woven composite midrange which will surpass any of the Fives except in the bass, 5A Carbon excepted.  This is not immediately noticed because it's about listenability and inner resolution which is only noticed after living with them for a few weeks.  The Five series speakers will have superior bass and room EQ.  RV

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Richard is just telling it like it is.    A good used pair of 5s, 5As, ... would be a heck of a speaker to have.  I have Quatro Wood CTs, but have heard 5As and was heading in that direction but got the Quatro Wood CTs.   I don' think the Kentos had debuted at that time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Recently added a new integrated (McIntosh MA8950) to my system.

I am looking at new speakers and the Treo CT has made the short list (along with offerings by Graham, Spendor and Devore)

Previously owned a pair of 2CE, SigII about 12 years ago. I believe that Vandersteen speakers reproduce strings (Orchestra) and solo piano better than any other speaker within their respective price points,  Hoping the Treo CT paired with the 8950 will provide this and more.  Listen to mostly everything (except rap and opera) with a preference for "ECM" type jazz . modern big band (Maynard Ferguson. Don Ellis. Patrick Williams etal) acoustic guitar and rock.

Advice and opinion are welcome.

• Like 1

That's an interesting final two choice.  I understand what Richard said about Time and Phase, but I also feel their sound is totally different than the Vandersteen line.  I heard them with top Mac gear as that's what my local store sells (they are related to Gordon Gow).  The sound to my ears was outstanding.  It's a really nice speaker, but for my was a bit too polite.  The bass didn't seem to go as low as my Treo's, but again it wasn't side by side, nor in the same room/system.  

For me I'd put the extra 3,500 into something else, but I also am sensitive to T&P correct and why I have always enjoyed those types of speakers over the years other than the Thiel's as they were just too bright for me.  It's all good either way.  Keep us posted. 

Thank you all.  I appreciate the response.  I do realize they are different and looking forward to hearing them at their respective dealers and home audition soon.

I trust my "ears" 

That said, as  a previous 2CE SigII owner, I am no stranger the quality and price/performance ratio of Richard's speakers.

I do have a feeling the Treo's will win out in the end.  Too many reasons to go this route.  

Plus.. , years ago when I had a question about my newly acquired 2 CE SIG II speakers, I called Vandersteen and Richard answered the phone himself and answered my questions.  Pretty cool, if you ask me!

Edited by DogsPart2
  • Like 1

Local dealer was prepared.  Set them up to similar dimensions to my listening area.

Powered through a good SS set up (Bryston Amp and pre-amp). Speakers toed in very slightly...and away we went for almost 2 hours.

Game Over!..  No need to audition anything else near or above this price range.

As Steve said above, just need to decide on the finish. Naturally, I will let Mrs. Dogs make the final decision.

• Like 4

@DogsPart2 I don't think you'll regret your choice.  Like you, I've also recently come back to owning Vandersteens again after some other adventures. In many ways it feels like coming home.  

Perhaps you'll appreciate this... As a leader of a local audio club about 80 members strong, over 20 years, our group met monthly at dealers or members homes and we heard many demos of the latest Sonus Faber models. While many including myself thought they were visually among the most beautiful looking speakers, I don't think any of the members invested in SF. The consensus was that at various price points something else always delivered more musical bliss. That was after hearing them properly set up in top dealerships. While the membership owned a wide variety of alternatives including a number with Vandersteens, the SFs were always the pretty girl across the room that you wanted to meet, until you met her. Cheers,

Spencer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@DogsPart2 The Sonos Faber reference line speakers are visually striking, beautiful hi-fi sculpture, not surprising since they are crafted by Italian artisans, but ultimately they didn’t appeal to my ear musically over several listening sessions.  Clearly, aesthetics are important but if I want art I’ll buy art. I’d also add that I think the Vandersteen speakers are beautiful objects as well, especially the Treo and up. The 7/s  in particular, with their avant-garde posture, are just as compelling visually as they are musically. 

• Like 1