Do newer Treo/Quatro trump original Model 5s?

Ross B.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, DogsPart2 said:

I am looking at new speakers and the Treo CT has made the short list (along with offerings by Graham, Spendor and Devore)

Three years ago I upgraded from Treos (driven by a VTL integrated amp) to Quatros driven by the M5-HPA amps, and have to say the bass response has made this (rather expensive) upgrade worthwhile for me. My dealer adjusted the equalizers on the Quatros twice, and after an audition the head of our San Diego Music and Audio Guild said my system was one of the best he'd heard in a small (15 x 12.5 ft) room.

I realize this isn't quite what you asked, but I feel like the subwoofers integrated with the Quatros really take things to a new level. If you already have subwoofer(s), this may not be relevant, although a friend with subs who's heard my system says you won't get the seamless integration of low frequency music with separate subs.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

This response is way past time that anyone is paying attention to this topic, but anyway...  As for the appearance of the Model Seven Mk IIs, I've always thought they are beautiful. 

Here's a tip.  If you're trying to decide a color for any of the speakers, go to your local store that provides paint to the auto body shops in your community (they'll have a million colors).  Ask them if you can look through their paint chips, and then if you can briefly take home the few you want to consider.  Take them home and look at them in the space you'll place the speakers.  I did this and it worked perfectly, giving me just what I wanted for a perfect fit in my room and my taste.  (A bit later I took them a pizza gift certificate as a thank you.)

I will be banished to a polar penal colony for this comment.  Having owned 3A Sigs and 5A Carbons, I preferred the 3s.  That speaker is so seductively melodious that it permanently owns real estate in my heart.  Yes, as one reviewer put it, it does trade off some midrange clarity for its gorgeous musicality, but for me that's a trade readily made.  I prefer only my Sevens above it.  Adding the Sub Nine subwoofers made a beautiful improvement in the Sevens' sound.

And last (this is the penal colony part), I never liked the 5A Carbons and have never understood their high reputation (while never taking issue with anyone who does like them).  To me, the speaker is a dud, not at the level one would expect from Vandersteens.

Jim Heckman

• Like 2

I am getting emails from the Forum saying there have been responses to my post above, but I click the "Go to this post" box which takes me to the topic, but any responses to the post are not visible there, and I can't figure out how to find them.  I am signed in.

The 5a carbon was imo a very honest attempt to bridge w wide gulf between the Quattro and the 7… essentially a 4x price gap. Wizard of Hanford ( my respectful term )  had a lot more $ to spend on a very inert “ stealth carbon wrapped constrained layer cabinet AND higher grade components in the crossovers, as well as the VERY pistonic carbon drivers. The 5a carbon mdf head and lower cabinet are not superior to the 7 stealth cabinet and obscure some of tge driver purity.

Re liking the 3a…. i owned a pair for 9 years… given the right amp… a wildly underated speaker… probably still today easily outclass $30 k offerings from other manufacturers…. 

Thanks for the informative explanation, TomicTime.  It's always good to talk to a more knowledgeable person.  imo there had to be some reason for what I considered a product that fell short of Vandersteen standards.

Also a pleasure to hear your view of the 3s.  I have to wonder how many people feel like you and I do about them.  I've long felt that the used 3A Sigs you sometimes see are fantastic bargains.  Pair them with Vandy subs (back then I was using 2wqs), hopefully used, and you have a system that will sound absolutely beautiful at an astounding value.  The only reason I replaced mine (with the 5s) was power handling capability.  I was listening to big choral music loud and they couldn't handle the power.  I'm sure this has been addressed in the decades since I owned them.  They must sound even better now.