NEW QUATRO WOOD CT OWNER

I've learned so much from the wealth of information shared on this forum and it's exciting  to no longer be an 'outsider looking in' and share my first post....

On his 'Audiophiliac' YouTube channel,  Steve Guttenberg requested his viewers comment on what it is they love about their speakers, and so I shared the following:

'I purchased Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers after auditioning dozens of others,  including Wilson, Magico, Focal, Harbeth, Klipsch, Sonos Faber, etc.,--the Vandersteen's didn't stun me, they didn't knock me over the head, or attempt to color my world with a particular 'brand sound,' they simply captivated me and sucked me into the profundity of great music if well recorded regardless of genre. They activate my imagination and produce the experience of what it might have been like to be there in the studio, arena, theater, etc. I couldn't be happier with my choice. And thanks to John Rutan and the gang at Audio Connection for being such helpful  audio sherpas.'

Regarding Audio Connection--I'm so lucky and grateful to have that great gang of misfits living nearby in Verona, New Jersey. Big thanks in particular to Nick and Samir for providing set up expertise.

I'm only one month in with this new system but already I can tell you the music flowing out of the Quatros has brought so much joy and pleasure to me and my family. 

I also think it's super cool how directly involved Richard Vandersteen is with his customers and fans, not only on this forum, but via email, telephone, in person, etc. I have a sense this isn't common among other high profile speaker designers. 

Sanjay A.

Equipment:

Belles Aria Monos, Belles Aria Preamp, Clearaudio Performance DC, (90% of listening is via analog front end) Clearaudio Tracer tone arm, Hana SL, Musical Surrounding phono stage, Auralic streamer, Rotel CD player, Audioquest cables.

SCA_7206.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

• Like 5

@SAGNI

Congrats!

A great description of why you made your choice, and a wonderful system.

As a Belles Aria Signature preamp owner, and MB-200 mono-blocks, also nice to see another Belles fan 👍🏼

Johnny strikes again. 😎
Enjoy!

Brian

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 4

@SAGNI congratulations and welcome to the club. Guess you started off with an amazing set of speakers and an equally amazing crew to help you set it up. Speaking of a gang of misfits, if your travels bring you to SoCal, I will introduce you to some here who are equally poster worthy 😃

Udit

• Like 2

Very nice looking room. Do you move the chair to face the speakers when listening seriously?

You have a mighty fine system, too. Johnny does great work.

5 hours ago, SAGNI said:

I purchased Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers after auditioning dozens of others,  including Wilson, Magico, Focal, Harbeth, Klipsch, Sonos Faber, etc.,--the Vandersteen's didn't stun me, they didn't knock me over the head, or attempt to color my world with a particular 'brand sound,' they simply captivated me and sucked me into the profundity of great music if well recorded regardless of genre. They activate my imagination and produce the experience of what it might have been like to be there in the studio, arena, theater, etc. I couldn't be happier with my choice

I totally agree with you sentiments.

Bob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Do you move the chair to face the speakers when listening seriously?

@SAGNI I was wondering about that myself. What does the other end of the room facing the speakers look like? Also, what is the finish on the speakers. Looks black but am getting a sense that it could be walnut.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm greeting and kind words, everybody! The finish is mahogany — the brown swivel chair is not a listening chair and not an encumbrance to the sound field. I’ve attached a photo  showing the listening chair, in the immediate foreground (blue) — of course the camera angle distorts the size of the room, making it appear much larger - it’s about 19 feet long. 

IMG_0047.jpeg

• Like 5

On 7/22/2023 at 7:49 AM, SAGNI said:

Equipment:

Clearaudio Performance DC, (90% of listening is via analog front end) Clearaudio Tracer tone arm, Hana SL, Audioquest cables.

I very much approve of your TT and cartridge choice. I have an ML waiting for an audition. Did your set-up guys have any comments re the Performance DC?

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks ! I was looking at Rega but Nick at Audio Connection spoiled me when he spun some vinyl on the Clearaudio Performance DC, very musical and a good match with the Belles, etc. So far very pleased! On another note,  the Quatros transcend all expectations, just kill when I spin well mastered vinyl…. Wonder if it has something to do with the time / phase alignment ?  Spooky!

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 7:49 AM, SAGNI said:

I purchased Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers after auditioning dozens of others,  including Wilson, Magico, Focal, Harbeth, Klipsch, Sonos Faber, etc.,--the Vandersteen's didn't stun me, they didn't knock me over the head, or attempt to color my world with a particular 'brand sound,' they simply captivated me and sucked me into the profundity of great music if well recorded regardless of genre. They activate my imagination and produce the experience of what it might have been like to be there in the studio, arena, theater, etc. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Congratulations on the Quatros, Sagni! I own a pair of the Quatro CTs plus the M5-HPA amps. And I echo your comments on the differences with other speaker brands. A week ago, I went to a demonstration of the Linn's new flagship speaker, the 360. Interesting design, because they incorporate all the electronics inside the speakers. There was only one cable, which was the power cable. Everything else was done by streaming. The speakers sounded very good, no doubt, like --you know-- very good speakers with lots of new designs. But when I got home and I listened to my Quatros, it was clear to me one more time why I love so much the Vandersteens. The vandees produce only music and you forget about all the technology inside or outside the speakers. 

I also have a  ClearAudio turntable. They are excellent TTs. I have an Ovation with a AMG tonearm and a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge. My phono preamp is the Adagio from Tavish Design. An amazing preamp. This combo is a marvel to my ears.

Again, congrats on the Quatros! 

• Like 3

Congrats on the new Quatros!  And you bought them from the best dealer around!  I look for excuses to drive the 30 minutes to Verona just to talk to John and his team.  Great group of people and they really know their stuff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SAGNI said:

On another note,  the Quatros transcend all expectations, just kill when I spin well mastered vinyl…. Wonder if it has something to do with the time / phase alignment ?  Spooky!

@SAGNI I too have had my Quatro’s for just about 4 weeks and haven’t had the time and the silence in the house to set the eq up yet. HoweverI am experiencing the same spookiness that you refer to with all the Santana lps that I have played so far. I am using the Hana MH and the combination of the finesse of the cartridge with the prowess of the Quatro’s is just unbelievable to the point where my wife and kids are now hogging my listening chair regardless of what’s playing…

Edited by stratocaster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

My partner's seat for the baby grand would be pushed into the keyboard with the Quatro's. Samir would have to alter space-time.

B

You need to convince him that the ukulele is an under-appreciated instrument and that he owes it to himself, and, maybe, the world to show what can be done with such a delicate device.  Perhaps start by playing a Jake Shimabukuro album.

Good luck.

• Haha 1