The New Vandersteen Preamp

I'm sure this thread will grow some legs ......

I had the good fortune to sit in on the first demo of Richard's new pre.,  hosted by Rick Duplisea of Audio Alternative in Fort Collins, CO.  I'll leave it to others to give a more "knodledgible" review but here it goes as simply as I can write.

Richards new addition to the lineup is essentially two preamps in. one: One with, and one without "tone controls",  for lack of a better word. For your better sources the "straight wire pre" is the obvious choice. All manipulations of the source signal  are out of the direct path to the amp. - very straight forward.. The interesting features (to me) are what Richard has designed into the "tone control" amp. This is where  you can breathe new life into your less than ideal recordings, many of which are from times past where "less than idea"  recording/mixing/pressing techniques were employed. I can't begin to get into the technical details of how Richard designed this pre., however, I have been in this hobby for quite a while and I know good music when I hear it - and I sure heard it.

One of the really nice features I liked is the option for 3 presets on the remote where you can preform your own limited "remix"  for a particular type of defect that certain styles/eras of music tend to possess. Richard didn't want too many of these presets for fear of playing into audiophiles tendencies to obsess over too many choices. Good move Richard, I can certainly relate to that. 

So, I will let others take it from here. I was just thrilled to have been part of that first public demo and I made a new audio friend who lives just minutes down the road from me, and he has a killer system with Kentos.....

Bruce

• Like 4

On 11/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, Bruskie said:

The interesting features (to me) are what Richard has designed into the "tone control" amp. …

For some reason I thought he also had Dean involved.

(When I last tried to call him, I got an angry woman on the line in MSP…. That was maybe in around ~’90-‘97 - so I maybe have the wrong story... again.)

As with M5 and M7 and now the preamp, Dean is involved . @Holmz I think you might have called Dean during a rough time in life, we all go thru those. Grace and peace.

i know i benefit from the Richard and Dean genius collaboration every day i play music - looking forward to what is to come….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Holmz said:

For some reason I thought he also had Dean involved.

(When I last tried to call him, I got an angry woman on the line in MSP…. That was maybe in around ~’90-‘97 - so I maybe have the wrong story... again.)

Dean was PSE which has closed a long time ago before the passing of his wife.  Dean is very much responsible for helping me to carry out unique ideas that I have dreamed about for 30 plus years.  All of the PSE products are no longer serviced by dean as he has no time, but a good service center should be able to change out the power supply caps which is the most common failure.  RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

What does the Matrix button do on the preamp remote?

B

Matrix is part of the "Smoke and Mirrors" section of the L5-ACC which is an ambiance retrieval system similar to "Q" sound.  Many of our recording of music we love was not recorded very well.  This part of the pre-amp increases cost about $500 and is fully out of the circuit when hitting the largest button on the remote "DIRECT".  Many find this quick form of signal manipulation a way to enhance the listening experience on lessor recordings, so do I.  RV

• Like 1

For those of you who where not at Audio Connection this pass Saturday miss out on hearing the new pre-amp it was worth the 10 hour drive from North Carolina 

Nick played some old Mono Stones recordings that came to life with the press of the Matrix button or turning on the Smoke and Mirrors as Richard calls it 

I had a great time see everyone at Johns 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, TomicTime said:

@Brad O is there a quasi top secret photo you can share ?……

Yes, and the official photo will appear here first.  There are a few refinements to implement first, and then watch for the official photo.  I hope to see many of you at Axpona, where we will have it on display, playing actively.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Richard Vandersteen looking forward to hearing the ‘smoke and mirrors’ capability.. i can see the tone controls and was wondering if there’s a ‘loudness’ control (similar to what vintage Mcintosh’s have) as well? 

Loudness is just bass boost and treble boost the last part I don't agree with.  You can set what you want and use one of the three Presets and click it on at will.

RV

• Like 1

Thanks all for posting.  Bruce, that was a great note on the pre.   Thanks

i missed the event at Johnnys as I was in LA for my wife’s business deal. I was sooo bummed as I wanted to visit with Richard, Brad and the rest of you all who were there. I can’t wait to get the pre into my system. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:25 AM, TomicTime said:

As with M5 and M7 and now the preamp, Dean is involved . @Holmz I think you might have called Dean during a rough time in life, we all go thru those. Grace and peace.

i know i benefit from the Richard and Dean genius collaboration every day i play music - looking forward to what is to come….

I know we do.
So I was happy to hear that he was involved with RV.
It says something about good about fearless leader, but most people on this forum have a gentlemanly nature… so it is not unusual here.
(just unusual to have a high percentage.)

I would bet a glass of wine, that Dean may have known my Cousin Roger who toured with Heart.
He has in MSP for a long time, after the commute through the donut shop in Hinckley..

All the best you @TomicTime and everyone,

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 8:33 PM, Bruskie said:

essentially two preamps in. one: One with, and one without "tone controls",  for lack of a better word

So essentially like the bypass switch on the Audio Research SP10 and SP11? I've always loved that design model. Best of both worlds!

• Like 1