Seeking longer rear spike for 3A's

I have what I believe are original Vandersteen stands for my 3A's. However, in order to achieve the appropriate tip-back angle for my space, I must place a block of wood under the rear spike, as I cannot adjust it long enough. I'm seeking a longer spike so that I can actually achieve the stability and isolation characteristics of a spike, as a 4"x3" block of wood on carpet is certainly *not* anchoring the speaker to the floor! Can I purchase these through you guys? Is there a third-party vendor you can recommend?

Ross, if I understand you, you're looking to decrease the amount of backward tilt.  This can be accomplished by placing washers between the rear spike and the bottom of your 3A's.  

They come in varying thicknesses.  I suggest measuring the width of your rear spike, and make sure to get ones with a big enough center hole.

Play on

IMG_2737.jpg

• Like 1

That will not work in my case, as the threads are not long enough to hold the spike in the hole.

I need a rear elevation of approximately 1.5" as measured at the back of the rear brace.

The attached picture shows the spike I am using. In that picture, it just barely manages to achieve 1.5", however *it is not screwed it at all*, the stand is simply resting on the top thread. If I screw it in a few turns, it is no longer achieving 1.5" height, *and* it is still wobbly.

IMG_0656.jpeg

On 1/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, Ross B. said:

That will not work in my case, as the threads are not long enough to hold the spike in the hole.

I need a rear elevation of approximately 1.5" as measured at the back of the rear brace.

The attached picture shows the spike I am using. In that picture, it just barely manages to achieve 1.5", however *it is not screwed it at all*, the stand is simply resting on the top thread. If I screw it in a few turns, it is no longer achieving 1.5" height, *and* it is still wobbly.

IMG_0656.jpeg

Hello Ross,

No one that I know make a longer spike with 3/8 X 16 threads with a point.  Any large hardware store would have 3/8 X 16 couplers which you could use to make your spikes longer if you are handy with tools.  I had forgoten we ever made this rear bracket as that goes back 20 years!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for popping in Richard.  Funny how you forget about the beginning. I bet it was very cool seeing that pic.  If you want to make the tilt more forward, wouldn't you be able to put a tile or even a block of wood at the right hight under the spike?  

3 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Hello Ross,

No one that I know make a longer spike with 3/8 X 16 threads with a point.  Any large hardware store would have 3/8 X 16 couplers which you could use to make your spikes longer if you are handy with tools.  I had forgoten we ever made this rear bracket as that goes back 20 years!

Hi Richard, thank you for confirming the diameter/thread pitch! I have found some on eBay, but they are metric. I will look into couplers. I was concerned they would add wobble, but I'm sure I can sort that out.

I'm glad I could bring back old memories! You're speakers are a key part of my bedtime ritual every day, thank you so much for your, and your team's, great work!

4 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

If you want to make the tilt more forward, wouldn't you be able to put a tile or even a block of wood at the right hight under the spike?  

That is actually what I have been doing. You can see the block of wood I used to the left of the frame. My concern was that the block will "float" on the carpet, and not punch through to the wood floor to make a solid connection.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, Ross B. said:

I’m about 8-9’ front the speakers.

A longer spike is exactly what I am looking for.

The footers would be inappropriate for use on my carpet, as they prevent the spike from coupling to the wood flooring.

Hi Ross,

Turned out I had a similar need to extend my rear spikes. I went to Home Depot and got two 3/8 16 Tpi couplers and a length of threaded rod in the same dimension. I used the original spike on one end and a cut off section of the rod into the speaker. A bunch of sweat later (Richard should sell the speakers by the pound). I am sitting here with Nina Simone and a barrel aged sour 🍻.

image.jpeg

Edited by Huang

11 minutes ago, Huang said:

Hi Ross,

Turned out I had a similar need to extend my rear spikes. I went to Home Depot and got two 3/8 16 Tpi couplers and a length of threaded rod in the same dimension. I used the original spike on one end and a cut off section of the rod into the speaker. A bunch of sweat later (Richard should sell the speakers by the pound). I am sitting here with Nina Simone and a barrel aged sour 🍻.

image.jpeg

Very nice! Is there any increased wobble from the couplers? This is likely the route I will go. Good call on the threaded rod. I hadn’t gotten to that step yet, but you’ve saved me a headache!

No increased wobble, I made the cut off sections long enough to touch the spike. Adjustment is a PIA but I figured I would only have to do it once. The cut off is about 1.5” for me. use washers on the spike to adjust tilt, and unscrew the rod to keep the two touching.  Hope this helps.

this is awesome stuff and fun too.  Would you be able to just call the maker of cones to see if they have any with long enough rod to use?  I think that's the easiest way if they offer the length you need.  Just one of the lower cost cones.  Just grasping at threads er.... straws.

• 7 months later...

I wanted to bring an update, finally. I was never able to find a coupler or extension that was small enough so as not to tip the speakers forward. I suppose I could have extended the front feet, but it would have been by a few inches.

What I ended up doing was moving to a house with hardwood floors, and installing rubber feet on custom-cut lengths of threaded rod. Can't say it's a practical solution for everyone, but the new rubber feat are working well.