What amps are you using with your Steen's?

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, ghamilton said:

After living with my new 2Ce Sig lll speakers for a few months I would like to say that I am SUPER happy. The Luxman L-507z is a VERY good match too!

The old 2C have sounded pretty good with just about every amp I have used.
The source, however, seems to have more of an effect from memory.

If one wants to justify a costly and exotic amp, they are really better off getting a very difficult to drive speaker (IMO).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Holmz said:

The old 2C have sounded pretty good with just about every amp I have used.
The source, however, seems to have more of an effect from memory.

If one wants to justify a costly and exotic amp, they are really better off getting a very difficult to drive speaker (IMO).

Although I experienced much the same, when I took my Moon W5 home for a demo, it simply brought my old 2Cs to a different level. The superior grip and control of the drivers in the speakers is what brought out the audiophile sounds that are not common to lesser amps. I had not heard this at home before, it was quite a thrill. In the store, we used Audio Physic Virgos (which I didn't much care for). The Moon bested the other amps we tried. The W5 can drive very difficult load speakers, but the model 2s don't need that much power to drive them to whatever levels you desire. They're easy on my amp.

The problem was the resolution at home brought out weaknesses elsewhere in the chain ("audiophile curse"). Eventually I addressed them. Vibration control, improved electrical delivery to the electronics, turntable, etc. brought out the best from the sources played. The latest upgrade was acquiring Moon preamplification. My 740P is in a different league than my old Classe which I owned for many years. Better sources always brings the most recognizable improvement as mentioned by Holmz above.

• Like 3

I am using a pair of McIntosh mono-bloc MC611s with the original Quatros. They replaced a very nice Ayre V5xe which served me well for many years. I’ve had these mono-blocs now for a few months and have been impressed with their sound. My new Quatro CTs come today, in a couple hours actually, and I’m hopeful they will continue to impress. I assume since the CTs are more in the 4-5 ohm range compared to the original Quatros that I will probably find the 4 ohm taps on my amplifiers the better match. I will try both just to make sure.

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1