What amps are you using with your Steen's?

On 10/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, Steve Edwards said:

I have a pair of "vintage" Professional Systems Engineering (PSE) Studio V solid state mono blocks.  Dean Klinefelter's old company; a great design and remarkable value,  even in today's dollars.

I had a pair of those for few months in the 80's if I recall.  That was in my PSE, Roberson Audio and Moscode days, lol.  Bruce at Stereo Unlimited in SD was who I was buying from in those days.  

3 hours ago, Nutznboltz said:

CT, what’s the verdict.?,  I’ve only heard great things about those.  

Verdict?  About the Ayre AX5/20?  It's a GREAT amp.  The pre is closer to the KXR than the KX5 in how they implement it.  The crossover was done wiht their reference series components.  The ONLY reason I'm selling it is because I just got Richards M5 HPA.  I'm going to miss a lot of what they do.  I has gobs of detail and is 'fast'.  Still musical and involving to my ears.  It's one of those pieces where you hear what it does from day one, but really miss what it does when you take it out and try something else.  When I had the Treo's I was able to play with many different pre/amp combos and integrated amps.  I had some integrated amps that are much more expensive and didn't like them as much.  They all have advantages, but overall the Ayre just amazes me.

I obtained both earlier this year, was running a wonderful Luxman integrated on the 5A system (509U I think, its in the basement, would have to get up and check).  Then I heard/read that Roger M had died, was just shattered, subsequently discovered/became aware that he made just 20 units of the RM9SE, and there were 3 or 4 still available, so at that point I jumped in an obtained one of the last ones ever made.  Then was running the pre out on the Luxman, that was nice, but decided to see about a MR pre, and there was one still unsold, so I jumped on it.  No regrets here.  None.  

I am using a NAD 1240 preamp, 2200 PE amp, Denon first gen CD, Orbit turntable and a par of 2CE Sig III.
Old school except for turntable and speakers.

I also have Thorens TD 165 turntable, and a Realistic TM-1001 tuner, both in need of minor repairs.

I listen mostly to Jazz and only buy vinyls at this point.

Overall, very pleased with the system.

Edited by sdeclama

Very nice.  Who is your dealer for the Steen's?  I really can't wait to hear those.  Been told that they have really closed the gap on the Treo's.  NAD always works GREAT with the 2's.  I had a buddy who used the big NAD amp/pre with his 2's and never felt the need to upgrade.  He just always upgraded the source and cords/cables (all Audioquest).

I got them from Music Direct https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Vandersteen-2Ce-Signature-III-Tower-Speakers

It is not a dealer per se, got it online.  I was already familiar with the 2's, my brother has a pair which he bought in the late 80's and listened to them all the time and recently last year, absolutely love the sound.

There was a sale and was able to negotiate almost 15% off.  I am satisfied.

The one thing I may do is buy another NAD 2200 and run them as mono blocks.  I also have a pair audioquest CV-8's, I may however at some point swap out my speaker wires for bi-wires when i figure out what to do with the banana plug binding posts on my NAD.

Electronics have gotten a lot more expensive from the 80's

Yes the hobby has become expensive. The new Audioquest speaker cables can’t be beat for the Steen’s. Depending on your budget, you may be able to sell your gear and upgrade as the new stuff is often a lot better (as long as you get a good match up with the speakers lol. Where do you live?

After buying Quatro Woods this year I said I'll give it a shot and try one of Hansen's creations (RIP Charlie), so I bought a used  Ayre V-5xe.

The sound is so transparent that I had literal tears in my eyes after I heard it for the first time.

It's run out of a DAC and thus have to deal with about 3 bit resolution loss due to digital volume control,
but I'm using a 32-bit DAC so having no preamp sounds the best to my ears since I prefer uncolored sound.

The only downside is that it has a bit more hum than I'd prefer.

20200824_151649_HDR.jpg

Good for you.  I"m having an analog control installed in my DAC/Server/Streamer to run direct.  If you are able to get some preamps in to test, you may find that if fixes those issues and may even be more dynamic.  Without a pre it's about matching properly.  

On 11/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, ctsooner said:

I miss my Quicksilver set up.  I was in the 90's, but that preamp was amazing!  Nice set up Craig.  What's your source ('s)?

We have a Shelter 5000 on a SME Model 10, EAR MC-4 step up trans and EAR 834P 

1 hour ago, Craig said:

We have a Shelter 5000 on a SME Model 10, EAR MC-4 step up trans and EAR 834P 

What a nice set up.  I love that TT and have heard the lesser Shelter and really liked it.  I notice that we Vandy owners have very similar tastes in gear.  We aren't afraid to go against the grain and buy gear that 'sounds right' or natural, whatever that means, lol.

I miss not having analog, but I have the best server/streamer I've ever heard, so it's got some advantages, lol.