What amps are you using with your Steen's?

Probably out, but man I look at some of the smaller footprint TT's (had a nice Basis until two years ago).  Wish one had a decent preamp built in.  I just don't even have room anymore to put one.  The server/streamer/DAC is so good that it's better than analog in many ways. they learned how to cut three types of jitter to nearly nothing.  Can't wait to hear the new one they are making for me.  The separate power supply will be killer I believe.  We will see.

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone, new to the forums.  i started off with a fiery post, but really do love vandersteens and can't wait for my new stands.  i use a krell s300i integrated and love it. always liked krell but there are so many great amps out there!  i remember back in my days of working in hifi, we had the "new" sunfire amp with two modes on it. i kind of wish i had one of those amps now, i bet it'd be an awesome amp with the vandersteens too.

Welcome to teh boards.  Glad you found us.  Haven't seen your 'fiery' post, but will look for it, lol.   I am actually about to list my original Krell Stealth (16bit) DAC.  In it's day it was a killer for the cost.  I also owned the KSA-50 for a time, but switched to Quicksilver Silver Mono's that we hotrodded with MIT internal wiring.  My Quicksilver pre amp was also rewired. Took both to a new level.  Sorry to go off on a tangent, lol.  

I was using a the Ayre as my first post stated.  I still need to list it, lol.  Ha.  Welcome again to the boards.  Post often and start a thread or two.  

• 1 month later...

I currently have a Rogue Cronus Magnum III, but I have a opportunity to get a McCormack DNA-1 from SMC with the full monty. I read somewhere that Richard used to show his speakers using SMC amps. Steve M. voices his amps with a set of 3s. My Treos should be arriving from the factory this week. Has anyone run Treo CTs with a SMC amp? What was your experience?

• Like 1

I remember someone getting in touch with me on an AG DM about this set up.  I owned a passive he made years ago and have had some of his gear in over the years.  Great stuff.  Why sell the Rogue when it's a really good amp.  What pre are you using?  That's a much more important piece to get right than the amp as long as the amp doesn't have much feedback in it's design. JMHO

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I remember someone getting in touch with me on an AG DM about this set up.  I owned a passive he made years ago and have had some of his gear in over the years.  Great stuff.  Why sell the Rogue when it's a really good amp.  What pre are you using?  That's a much more important piece to get right than the amp as long as the amp doesn't have much feedback in it's design. JMHO

I stumbled on this DNA-1, my thought is if I want to go with Vandersteen subs the implementation of a preamp combo will make the addition easier. I have not heard the Treo CTs at home yet  (I hope they come in today I'm so excited I'm twitching). Another concern I have is that I am coming from a pair of Klipsch Heresys in this set-up and the difference in sensitivity is big. Bruce tells me it will be fine, but I am an engineer and tend to overthink things. The preamp will be a later choice. I initially was planning on using the Rogue variable out as a pre, but the gain of the DNA-1 may preclude that. I also have a Rogue RH-5 that could do pre duty. Do you have any pre suggestions?

Edited by Huang

Congrats on the speakers arriving today.  Please share pics on the pic thread.  Stop overthinking.  What you will gain in music/magic is well worth it.  The Rogue and the McCormick will have plenty of power to run them. They are such an easy load.

What is your budget?  What is your total system made up of?  it's got to be a system approach.

Speakers arrived today too late to get to San Diego for me to get them. I feel a case of anal glaucoma coming on... (I don’t see my butt going to work tomorrow). 

My budget is less than $3K for a pre and used is okay. My system: Rogue Cronus Magnum III, VPI Scoutmaster, PS Audio  Stellar Phono pre, Chord TT2, M2 Tech Joplin

I never knew this forum existed until Peter told me.

In any case, 

I own Pete's old Treo's (non CT)

John Rutan is supposed to be here Friday to set up my new Sub 3's.

I am running a streaming rig using an Ayre Codex, Bluesound Nodes.

Main system has the Treo's with either Ayre MXR/KXR's, or Atmashpere MA-1/MP-1's- I like to change from SS to Tubes😉

My office has a pair of VLR's with HSU Subs and a pair of Belles Aria Monoblocks with an Atma UV-1.

Bob

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Huang said:

Speakers arrived today too late to get to San Diego for me to get them. I feel a case of anal glaucoma coming on... (I don’t see my butt going to work tomorrow). 

My budget is less than $3K for a pre and used is okay. My system: Rogue Cronus Magnum III, VPI Scoutmaster, PS Audio  Stellar Phono pre, Chord TT2, M2 Tech Joplin

Well they are home and all my worries were unfounded.  I am breaking them in now. With the Rogue  and loving them. Oh my goodness and a BAT 3000SE followed me home for demo. I’ll swap the BAT after I have a few hours on the Treos. 

image.jpeg

Awesome stuff. Congrats.  Make sure to set them up properly with the correct rake etc...  Great stuff.  For some reason I thought you were getting Quatro's.  That's why I asked you about the Ayre with crossover.  There are some very good amps in the 3k range that you may want to try out.  

I am surprised that this forum has existed for a while without folks knowing about it. I just accidentally happened to land here....

Anyway, I have 7 Vandy speakers @ home and have been using different amps/receivers. Primary system is 2CE Sig IIs/2WQ with Mccormack DNA -1 (I believe it's Rev B) and my television setup has 1Cs/V2w/VCC1 with stock DNA 0.5. At times, I swap in a Mcintosh 7100 just to give the Mccormack a break but as robust and effortless the Mcintosh is, for some reason it is just not able to coax the 2CEs to show their real stuff. 

Welcome to the forum.  I've posted on the FB pages, but nowhere else yet.  If you are on other forums folks, please invite folks over here.  Even non Vandy owners may enjoy it if they are thinking about them for their next purchase.  More folks give more diverse opinions for us all to enjoy.  I haven't found Mac to be the best match for the steen's. It may be that they have too much feedback. I know that Richards likes amps that have little to no global feedback.  Others on here have the McCormick DNA if I recall.

@ctsooner,

Thanks for the kind words.

Johnny and Samir set up the Sub 3's yesterday. They dialed in the MXR's and Atma MA-1's and calibrated the subs using some pretty sophisticated audio software.

My main system (Treo's) now disappear into the room. Ahh, finally reaching the end!😋

I still have to get my streaming system finalized. I am waiting for Sam Laufer to get The Memory Player configured, at which point I will move to the Ayre QB-9 Twenty Dacs.

I only had a few hours to test, but the QB-9 is really a significant upgrade to the Codex.

Oh yeah, I managed to find some AQ William Tell speaker cables. The one bad part is that the Sub 3 power inlet is blocked by the amplifier fins, so I need to have AQ send me some new ends for the power cables in order to fit. (Oddly, Johnny says the AQ Dragon's don't have this problem).

B

Edited by GdnrBob

• 2 weeks later...

Huang, I love the "kicked back and listening" image. Such a pleasure to get to that time of the day. My BAT VK30 pre was my first foray into tubes, around 10 years ago, and a truly significant upgrade to my system at the time. I suspect you'll enjoy your 3000SE.

1 hour ago, jkmcc said:

Huang, I love the "kicked back and listening" image. Such a pleasure to get to that time of the day. My BAT VK30 pre was my first foray into tubes, around 10 years ago, and a truly significant upgrade to my system at the time. I suspect you'll enjoy your 3000SE.

Thanks, sorry for my big ol foot in the picture, but as of late it is one of my favorite positions. I swapped in the BAT and the image was not as detailed as the Rogue, don't get me wrong it didn't sound bad just to my ears not as rich, so it's going back to the dealer.