What amps are you using with your Steen's?

16 hours ago, bkeske said:

I’m dreaming of my Belles Aria Signature  preamp will arrive by/for Christmas…..not holding my breath….but being patient. Texted Johnny Tuesday, said he would check on it….no response yet.

The waiting is the hardest part

I'm with you!  Time goes by way too fast for all of us  .............  except when you're waiting on an audio product; like I am for a pair of Belles Aria mono blocks.  Johnny is one busy man  :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bkeske said:

I’m dreaming of my Belles Aria Signature  preamp will arrive by/for Christmas…..not holding my breath….but being patient. Texted Johnny Tuesday, said he would check on it….no response yet.

I am waiting for mine, as well.  It has been about a year for me.

B

Ayre V1xe......I know its old, but it just came back from Ayre with a checkup report....its fine.   The only thing they changed is to put tape on the cooling fins to eliminate the little resonance that could happen. I gave them instruction ...."do all you can" to make it better.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I am waiting for mine, as well.  It has been about a year for me.

B

Oh man, I really didn’t want to hear that. I know you mentioned you also had one on order. Oh well, patience indeed. Not sure why, but really think this will be worth the wait.

Hi first post on the Vandy forum.

Thoughts? Looking at a pair of Music Fidelity M1 amps run in Mono to run my vintage 2Cs.  Currently have a NuForce STA 200 running them.  Will these create enough headroom.  Listen around 91DBs.  Sometimes more, but rarely.  Thoughts.  I'm a big fan of MF products. (VPI Scout/Audio Lab 8000/NuForce STA200/Cambridge Azur CD/Cambridge Azur DAC)

• Like 2

The M1 amps are class "D" amps.  The time distortions because of feedback usually doesn't work well with Vandersteen's.  Be careful you listen carefully especially long term before you chose another class "D" amp or you may find yourself on a treadmill always looking for another amp solution.  Modern class "D" amplifiers sound nearly perfect for modest prices but the emotional connection is not there, IMO.  If you use digital exclusively you have already taken this hit and class "D" may be a best solution.  Iff you don't like the sound of the M1 it won't be because of power when used as mono blocks as it is enough.

RV

RV

Edited by Richard Vandersteen
further thought
  • Like 1

Thank you Richard for your thoughts and all those who shared.  I fear I may already be on that treadmill.  As my brother (and fellow audiophiliac) says, "so it begins".  I dove into the M1s.  Should arrive on Tuesday.  I'll post about my impressions.  I didn't see RV's post until it was too late. (cue the doomsday music).  Stand by.

J

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, bkeske said:

Oh man, I really didn’t want to hear that. I know you mentioned you also had one on order. Oh well, patience indeed. Not sure why, but really think this will be worth the wait.

I just got iff the phone with John Rutan.

It seems there has been a bit of an issue with the chassis of the preamp, and Dave wanted to get everything down pat.

He knows we have been waiting for a long time, but hopes to have our preamps delivered asap.

Bob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I just got iff the phone with John Rutan.

It seems there has been a bit of an issue with the chassis of the preamp, and Dave wanted to get everything down pat.

He knows we have been waiting for a long time, but hopes to have our preamps delivered asap.

Bob

Talked to Johnny too Bob. Good news indeed. He told me he was calling you after he hung up with me 👍🏼 

Let’s hope we both receive our pre’s soon!

18 hours ago, Holmz said:

Unless they are wearing tartan, then technically it might be whiskey.

Well, I wouldn't be drinking it, but The Balvenie wasn't available for quite a while, so I ended up getting Akashi to hold me over.

Technically it's a whiskey, but it does the job and costs half of The Balvenie.

B

• Sad 1

Well….the M7 is a fantastic amplifier…i remember day one as something approaching 24 hours of unpacking, setup and hours and hours of magic fatigue free yet goosebump inducing music…

The M5 shares the same DNA and virtues in a smaller more cost effective package.

Warning - Don’t take a small car to pickup M7 amplifiers !

5E0F159F-3C44-4508-85A2-0ED55C45131D.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Well, I wouldn't be drinking it, but The Balvenie wasn't available for quite a while, so I ended up getting Akashi to hold me over.

Technically it's a whiskey, but it does the job and costs half of The Balvenie.

B

How much ($) was the Whiskey?
(You’re on my XMAS list.)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently using a Nagra Classic amp (and Classic Preamp) with my Vandersteen Quatro Wood CTs with excellent results.   I have also used an Air Tight ATM-2Plus amp and ATC-5 preamp with excellent results, but I have moved it to a different system that's more dog proof before anything happens.  I plan to continue to use the Nagra and have no desire to change it.  The change between amps did not require re-equalizing.  But, I  did change the contour and the level to get the sound to where I like it.

For what it's worth, I've spent many hours in the past listening to the 5As driven with Audio Research Reference 110 and the Ref 3 preamp at Audio Dimensions, and that was a great combination.  It just seemed effortless to listen to and very linear.

• Like 2