What amps are you using with your Steen's?

12 hours ago, ctsooner said:

yes, I grew up in Newington.  I went away to OK for college (OU) and then spent a lot of time in Seattle and San Diego for the Navy (driving ships).   I moved back to CT to become a full time recruiter for the Naval Reserves.  Live in Berlin now. Which school did you go to.

That’s very cool! I used to work with ex-navy captain. He had some great stories, and never cleaned his coffee mug. I went to grad school at Yale, and as a result have strong opinions about pizza! 

Modern, Sally's or Pepe's (original only)???  Did you ever get to Take 5 Audio in New Haven? Ralph finally sold it and retired.  They moved the store to the Waterbury area, but are still figuring out what lines to carry for high end and not just home integrated audio/video.  I don't drink coffee.  I used to trade my allotment for 'thing's that we needed on the ship, lol. Ha.. I'm a retired Commander who drove the USS Kitty Hawk carrier, USS Somers, an old DD and the USS Lang a fast frigate over my years.  10 years active duty with the last few recruiting doctors and nurses for the Navy Reserve.  It was in SD where I started to purchase my higher end gear from Bruce. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

Modern, Sally's or Pepe's (original only)???  Did you ever get to Take 5 Audio in New Haven? Ralph finally sold it and retired.  They moved the store to the Waterbury area, but are still figuring out what lines to carry for high end and not just home integrated audio/video.  I don't drink coffee.  I used to trade my allotment for 'thing's that we needed on the ship, lol. Ha.. I'm a retired Commander who drove the USS Kitty Hawk carrier, USS Somers, an old DD and the USS Lang a fast frigate over my years.  10 years active duty with the last few recruiting doctors and nurses for the Navy Reserve.  It was in SD where I started to purchase my higher end gear from Bruce. 

Wow CT you’ve had one hell of a career!!! Modern was my jam! We lived in East Rock and could always get in, and the pizza was awesome  although m crazy the Sally’s clam pie.

I never went to Take 5. At the time I had 2Ci’s that I’d “inherited.” They were driven by a crappy receiver. Basically I didn’t know what I had. Years later in 2017, when I finally upgraded to a better integrated (I just wanted a hdmi input) the 2Ci’s sang like I’d never heard before. That was the moment I became hooked and led to my current system: 2Ci’s -> 2Ce sigs -> 5’s.   

I'm a Sally's guy as I always get their clam pizza.  I loved taking clients to Modern as it was more intimate.  I also love the bakery next to Pepe's as well as Tony and Lucille's for a great bowl of pasta and gravy.

Way to get hooked, lol.  That's awesome stuff.  

• Thanks 1

Mike,

A couple thoughts on your set up: if you repositioned your sub to the middle of the area (firing directly out to your listening spot), slid the left speaker to where the sub was and the rack to where the speaker was, your imaging might be significantly improved.  You might also experiment with toe-in, also some potential for soundstage improvement. 

Aesthetically,  your screen would no longer be centered between your 5s, but I believe the sonic improvements would be significant.  And, the sum of the parts would still occupy the same dimensions, retaining that ever-so-important WAF.  

Play on

• Like 1

Peter,

I’ve got a dear friend in Boston that is entertaining an upgrade to his speaker cables.  He is currently using banana terminations on both ends.  I recently read, in our forum, Richard addressing the advantages of spades over bananas, but I can’t find it!  It was a member asking about removing the binding screws from the back of his 2s and inserting the bananas into the threaded holes.

I tried searching “replies from Richard,” but that just brought up six pages of content with “Richard” in them.  Do you know if it’s possible to find all of an individual’s posts?  😞

4 minutes ago, BKDad said:

Available at Amazon.  For an exorbitant price.  But, they fit well.

Guess a set of these for two speakers would cost just $200 less than what I paid for my 2CE SigIIs (which were a heck of a steal from a guy who's wife forced him to trade 6 month old Vandy's for Tannoy Westminister's)..

That's quite a leap from Vandersteen 2 series speakers to Tannoy Westminsters.  Like going from a (nice) bicycle to a (medium) BMW.

There's other AQ spades available at 1/4 of what the 1000 series sell for.  I have no reference to explain the practical difference in the sound quality.  I just know that my speaker cables came with 1000 series spade connectors and they fit on my speaker terminals.

10 hours ago, ctsooner said:

It was some time ago but outside of Hartford there was a place I think The 880 Club. Sunday night was jam session night, and Jackie McClain would show up and jam sometimes. My favorite memory was a regular, a vibe player, name escapes me, but the drunker he got the better he would play. The regulars would always buy him drinks to assure a good evening for all.

• Like 1

The 880 Club was in the South End of Hartford.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1995-09-02-9509020216-story.html

Jackie McClain taught at Hartt School for a number of years, which is as far on the northwest corner of Hartford as The 880 Club was in the southeast corner.  My wife spent many, many hours in his classes and the various sessions he set up at the school.  I only met him once, at a hockey game of all things, but he seemed like a great guy.

Tommy Mars (Thomas Marciano) and Ed Mann are somewhat famous grads of Hartt.  Along with Dionne Warwick, Tony MacAlpine, and Charles Nelson Reilly.  Many others, too.  (My wife is not famous.)

Was the vibraphone player Matt Emirzian?

BK, it's so great having you post.  Thanks.  What memories you have brought up.  I worked in the South End in the late 80's for Century 21 Zubretsky.  I did commercial real estate for a few years. I hung out a lot in the south end.  Ate up and down Franklin Ave and still do.  Soem great places are still there.  it was all Mafia in the late 80's when I moved back to CT.  Dated plenty of women who lived there too.  

Used to go to Hartt for all kinds of things.  The anthem singer for the Whalers was a friend and he used to sing there too.  Tony Harrington is his name.  

Yup.  I know of Tony.  He always wore red shoes to Whalers' games, reminiscent of the Wizard of Oz shoes.

We used to go to Hartford a lot.  Often several times a week.  No longer, except to pass through on the highway.  Whalers are gone.  Downtown is pretty much a ghost town and was prior to the pandemic.  The great Italian bakeries from the South End now have outposts in Plainville and Middletown; why go to Hartford?

When young I lived there for a couple of years. My ex was a partner at Gordon, Muir and Foley. We had so many social events and it was fun. I had season tickets to the UCONN men and woman’s teams. Now I only have women season tickets.  We get to the Bushnell Theater as much as we can. We have Yardgoats tickets, but Brenda moved her insurance agency to East Windsor.