Vinyl / Turntables

On 5/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, ursus13 said:

How do you like the Tracer tonearm? Also, what cart and phono stage are you running?

The jewel-like Tracer tonearm is light enough to allow the also light-weight Kiseki Purple Heart cart to track accurately. The tonearm is silent. Rig feeds a Manley Chinook phonostage. Combination is remarkably resolving.

The relative lack of attention having been paid to the Tracer arm is a bit surprising considering how effective the thing is...

New upgrade to my system, and a a VERY significant one I might add! My first MC cartridge, the new Hana Umami Blue.  A bit more than 40 hours in and listening to the incredible Bob Marley UHQR, “Rastaman Vibration” from Analogue Productions. I still marvel at the wide and deep soundstage and well balanced sonic presentation by the Umami Blue. I can’t hear any deficiencies from the taut, punchy low frequencies right through to the delicate and airy highs. Great definition and accuracy and no weaknesses that I can hear. A truly spectacular cartridge!

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

IMG_0960.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Goetz said:

My first MC cartridge, the new Hana Umami Blue.

Very cool. I'm looking very seriously at the Hana M Series, which I have hears quite extensively on a friend's system. The M was a huge jump up from the SL that he started with. I know a few people who use the Umami Red, so this is cool to hear about the Blue. Sounds like Hana has really dialed in their cart tiers. (And nice photos, btw. Great detail and depth of field.)

• Like 2

I've heard a few of the Hana cartridges over the last couple of years.  I think they may have better distribution than in years past. Not sure.  I've never heard one that I didn't really enjoy.  I am not up on vinyl like I used to be, but they seem to give you a lot for your money.  Glad you are enjoying it.  

IMO having run an ML on the SOTA in my reference system, the Hana ML is an incredible value and unlike many relatively inexpensive MC… not very tipped up in the treble..upper  mids. I have heard the red, always sounds very nice - great to hear the blue well received !,,, bravo… ! 

Edited by TomicTime

1 hour ago, ursus13 said:

Buddy has an ML on his Rega P3. A marked step up over the SL he had been running.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Hana and Koetsu?

HanaThe short answer is that it can mean either flower or nose, depending on the context surrounding it.

It’s ahead of a Koetsu by a Hana. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have also have a Clearaudio Performance DC. I was originally planning on getting a Concept, but picked the DC up for a song. Had Casey at Ne Plus Ultra in Austin give the table a once over (got it on consignment and wanted it looked at). He set up the table, installed the cart, and adjusted the speed which was off a bit.

This is my first "real" turntable, so I kept the cart pretty basic...Hana EL, which Casey recommended. As for my phono stage, I had read good things about the classic (old) Aragon 47K...so I had the guy who rebuilt my 24K SP and 4004 modify the 47K with some fancy bits and a new linear power supply. For someone like me (coming from streaming only) who was worried how much pops and cracks would bother them, I've been very happy.

For any DIY types or people who can't not modify stuff, here's the thread on AudioKarma detailing the 47K upgrade process: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/modialfan-aragon-47k-upgrade-magic.1022795/

IMG_5292.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ursus13 said:

Hi John,

Did you install the cart yourself?

The dealer (Ray at Stereo Unlimited) did it. I'd been there when he installed the same cart on my predecessor turntable (a Rega RP-3 that I traded in on the P10) and saw that he did a careful and accurate job.

5 hours ago, John Gallup said:

The dealer (Ray at Stereo Unlimited) did it. I'd been there when he installed the same cart on my predecessor turntable (a Rega RP-3 that I traded in on the P10) and saw that he did a careful and accurate job.

Reason I ask is because I just bought a preowned Rega P10. Trying to decide if I should install the cart myself or have a pro do it for me.

When you were observing the process, did you get a sense for how tricky/complicated it is?

16 minutes ago, ursus13 said:

Reason I ask is because I just bought a preowned Rega P10. Trying to decide if I should install the cart myself or have a pro do it for me.

When you were observing the process, did you get a sense for how tricky/complicated it is?

My own willingness to attempt this varies inversely with the price of the cart. If you use a Rega cart, it's quite simple, requiring only a tracking force gauge, small screwdrivers and pliers etc. I've done it a few times and had no difficulty.

Setting up the Lyra was more complex, and included in the purchase price. As I recall when he originally set it up on my RP-3, Ray just set overhang, tracking force and anti-skate, and had to adjust the shim under the tonearm base to get a tracking angle that worked. I later (roughly) measured the stylus rake angle with a USB microscope and was satisfied with the result.

I didn't see him set up the cart on the P10 but I presume he used a similar process.

You may know that there are a lot of other cartridge alignment factors that can be measured and adjusted, as discussed in this thread and on the Wallytools web site.

11 hours ago, John Gallup said:

My own willingness to attempt this varies inversely with the price of the cart. If you use a Rega cart, it's quite simple, requiring only a tracking force gauge, small screwdrivers and pliers etc. I've done it a few times and had no difficulty.

Setting up the Lyra was more complex, and included in the purchase price. As I recall when he originally set it up on my RP-3, Ray just set overhang, tracking force and anti-skate, and had to adjust the shim under the tonearm base to get a tracking angle that worked. I later (roughly) measured the stylus rake angle with a USB microscope and was satisfied with the result.

I didn't see him set up the cart on the P10 but I presume he used a similar process.

You may know that there are a lot of other cartridge alignment factors that can be measured and adjusted, as discussed in this thread and on the Wallytools web site.

Great resources. Very helpful. Thanks, John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

OP, here. Thanks to everyone for the helpful insights and discussion. This has turned into a long and constructive thread.

Quick update: I landed on a preowned Rega P10. It was delivered yesterday.

I am pairing it with a Hana ML cart (which many people recommended and I've heard on a friend's P3, and now his P8.)

I'm leaning towards a preowned Ayre P-5xe phono stage, which can be had for about $1200. I'd certainly be open to any suggestions at (or below) this price point.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Impersonally feel that unit is way too dated. I purchased the Heed unit from Rutan and new, it’s around that price I believe. It’s a killer for the cost and most don’t know about it. Not sure who your dealer is, but the Heed is special for the cost 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, ursus13 said:

Hello all,

I know there are some seriously experienced vinyl users here, so I want to tap the brain-trust. I have never owned/used vinyl before and I'd love some suggestions and recommendations on how to get started. 

I don't know exactly what my budget is yet, but I'm looking at the Rega P6 and the VPI Prime Scout as top contenders. So that's the budget territory. (Totally open to other TT suggestions.)

•  Should one consider buying used, or is new the best option for a turntable?
  • I'd like to start with a setup that that I can experiment with vinyl and see if I like it, but high enough quality that represents what vinyl can do.
  • Looking for a fairly simple turntable that I won't need to fuss with too much to get it to sound it's best.
  • Thoughts on how to allocate budget between TT, cart, and pre?
  • Any recommendations for where to start, what I should consider?
    • Turntable
    • Phono pre
    • Cart
    • Accessories
    • Used vs New
    • Good retailers (I've had two people recommend Upscale Audio for TT purchase.)
    • How and where to get started with a record collection. (I currently have 30 records.)

My current system:

• Ayre AX-5 Twenty
  • Quatro CT speakers
  • Lumin U1 Mini (Tidal, Qobuz)
  • Yggy DAC

Thank you.

I have a VPI without a bit of trouble for about 10 years or so.....easily modified to make it better.....VPI is built in New Jersey

If one is using a very low impedance MC, then I am not sure whether a Sutherland might not be a good choice.

I'm using a Sutherland TZ Direct with a Lyra Etna Lambda and getting plenty of great sound out of it, along with some background noise. (The background is definitely not coming from the pre-amp, as we tested it separately at the dealer.) Ron Sutherland is very helpful and can probably tell you whether any particular cart would work with one of his pre-amps.

ron@sutherlandengineering.com

I have a Hana ML. The output is 0.4mv. Suggested load impedance is 100Ω. (I’m completely new to vinyl, so still learning what all the numbers mean.)

4 hours ago, Holmz said:
23 hours ago, ursus13 said:

Anyone ever own or hear a Nagra BPS phono pre?

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/nagra-bps/

I looked for one for a while, but a used VPS came up…
If one is using a very low impedance MC, then I am not sure whether a Sutherland might not be a good choice

You think a Sutherland is not a good match? Would a Nagra BPS be a good match? The Nagra can do 100, 150, 220, 330, 470 Ω and 1kΩ.

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

I owned an Aesthetix Rhea and it was an amazing phono stage.  It also had a demagnetizing unit built into it and is fully adjustable via the remote.  I had this after the Heed and was in love. You can also always get them upgraded for a fair price.  Just another option.

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I owned an Aesthetix Rhea and it was an amazing phono stage.  It also had a demagnetizing unit built into it and is fully adjustable via the remote.  I had this after the Heed and was in love. You can also always get them upgraded for a fair price.  Just another option.

I have kept an eye out for a used Rhea for about six months (I think based on your recommendation on another thread. ) Used units don’t come up often and are typically $2000+. 

I also considered the new Hegel V10, which is supposed to be outstanding.

• Like 1