What are you using and which speakers?

I have the Ayre AX5/20 integrated amp.  Soon I hope to get the Vandersteen M5's.  They are a beast at this price point.  No surprise since they are designed to work with the speaker like an active speaker would have.  I do love that.  Since I'm all digital and the load on the amps is so easy to drive, I'll put an analog volume control in my Server/DAC and try that instead of a top Ayre or AR or Aestheix preamp.  

What are you running?  

• Like 1

Sources are AMG Viella-12 Turbo with Lyra Atlas and Aurender N-10.

Audio Research Reference Phono-3 phono stage,  Audio Research DAC-9 , Simaudio/Moon 850P pre-amp, Simaudio/Moon 870A power amp

Vandersteen 5A Carbons, Vandersteen M7-HP crossovers, all cables and power conditioning are Audioquest.

(That other junk in the photo is a completely separate in-wall home theater system with no interface to to the main audio system.)

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Those 5As blend in nicely Scott, I like that natural wood look of your room.

I'm running 2CE Sig IIs with a Marantz PM7004 integrated amp and a cheap, but surprisingly well-sounding Topping NX4 DAC that I also use to power my headphones.

I've tried different amplifiers and DACs and to be honest I myself couldn't hear a worthwhile difference. But a large improvement was noted when adding multiple bass traps, the lower  and mid frequencies sound deeper and cleaner. For instance the kick drum now sounds like a real kick drum, without any of that stereotypical bass muddiness.

I have the DAC connected via USB to my Windows computer music collection. I'm running a Volumouse script that enables volume control by a press of a button and a scroll of the mouse wheel. It's very comfortable to be able to adjust volume so easily, I suggest anyone streaming via PC to give such programs a try.

• Like 1

As long as the speakers are set up correctly, you are 90% of the way there. I need to take photos. Lol. My Quatro’s are painted in a dark dark copper metal flake in black paint. Even with the spot light from the ceiling I installed and the floor ones, it’s hard to get a good pic lol. 

I am currently using the Audio Research Ref 6, Rogue Zeus, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Herron VTPH-2a, and a VPI HW40.  This supported by a Audio Quest Nigara 7000, Audio Quest Cables, and Audio Quest Wind interconnect cables, Isoaccoustics Orea under the electronics, and a Symposium Foundation Ultra rack on the way.

• Like 2

I have a complete Brinkmann System with Vandersteen HP-5 Amplifiers.

Brinkmann Nyquist Mark 2, Brinkmann Marconi Mark 2, Brinkmann Edison Mark 2, Brinkmann Spyder Turntable with an Acoustical systems tonearm, HRS RXR Audio stands, isolation platforms, Damping plates and more. Cables and power by AudioQuest. 

IMG_7986.jpg

• Like 4

Which AQ set up are you using Sunil?  That's a great looking set up.  I LOVE the Brinkmann gear.  They just get it.  I can't wait until I get my HP-5's in the Fall.  I have someone coming over in a couple of weeks to help me put my 3" granite slabs under my Quatro's.  I love the look of those bases.  Thanks for sharing.

Which acoustic treatments are you using?   That's the one thing I don't have in my room yet. I don't need much as it's an open floor plan and it's the loft.  I still need the far wall to diffract the sound as well as the first reflections on the side walls.  I don't have any slap echo, so no treatment needed on the ceiling, but the wife would never go for that anyways, lol. :). I really want something that looks like a picture or something that fits the decor.  :). 

Those are Kênto's Eric.  They really are a special speaker.  I have the Quatro's in Audio Havana Black, but if I did it all over, I'd get the cool Bentley Copper or a high metallic Crimson (darker than what most think crimson is).  I use spot lights and installed down lights above the speakers.  Stunning looks and sound, lol.  

• Like 1

Funny as I am a woodworker and have built most of the furniture in the house. I use mostly cherry, quarter sawn white oak and figured sapele.  I LOVE Purple Heart as well as so many others.  That said, I just wanted the look of the painted finishes and Richard's son nailed the paint job.  Eric, what's the rest of your set up?

Electronics are PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Monoblocks and Pre-amp. PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC and Disc Player connected via Is2. VPI Prime Signature TT with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. Simaudio Moon 610 LP Phono Pre. All AudioQuest cables including William Tell speaker cables. AudioQuest Niagara power management. Everything pairs nicely with the Quatro CT's. I love the sound.

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

• Like 6

nice set up Eric.  I'm using the Quatro's with Ayre AX5/20 with the built in crossover.  My server is The Memory Player by Laufer Technik which is the best sounding iv'e ever heard and that includes the top SGM and Innuos servers.  I am their guiniea pig so they installed a DAC in the server. It's being totally rebuilt to sound world class with two boxes etc..  I am getting Richard's new amps in the Fall sometime and will use an analog volume control in the DAC .  XLRs are AQ WEL and speaker cables are the new William Tell bi wire set up wiht a Niagara conditioner.  Simple and great sounding.  

Working on the room now.  Wish I could still do analog.  Do you review?  I don't know why, but I thought you may.  If so, I can set you up wiht Sam at Laufer if you want.  Forums are great places to network and share.  

Can't wait for all of us to be able to get out adn about.  I am dying to hear the new 2's.  Heard from a few how amazing they are.  

Looks like he’s taken them to a level just under the Treo.   

when I saw your system, is when I knew you’d love to hear The Music Player server. I can’t do analog anymore. Just too difficult for me to clean and play records. That’s why I went digital. I tried so many high end servers and DAC’s and was still disappointed.   This thing cuts jitter to a minimum and their software is always a few steps ahead of others. 

I know mine has the dac built in, , but I can bypass it. I want to hear it with the Brinkmann and Rossini, which I also love. 

lol... I have a couple of fiends who use one.  They both have an extensive tape library of live recordings.  In college I used one and had at least 400 reels.  I was a J major and worked at local radio stations and got to go to the concerts and record.  Back in the 70's many folks used them.  Some of the rebuilds are incredible.  I have heard a couple over the years that sucked as they motors were off.  The guys who own them don't even realize it, which to me is ashamed as they could easily get them tuned up etc...  Their loss, but I guess not really since they don't know the difference, lol.

They are like any other piece of gear. Maintenance is important for quality and longevity. At RMAF a couple of years ago Benno from GamuT played a 1st gen copy of The Wall on his reference system for a few of us after hours with a fully restored REVOX and a new Tape Pre he made coming right off the heads. It was 90 minutes of bliss. It is a crazy hobby but it can be sublime.

• Like 1