What are you using and which speakers?

4 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  What are the stones for other than looking cool?  

Ha...absolutely nothing, but yea, their kinda cool.  I was originally using them for cable risers until I found some cd display holders from TAP plastics.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:51 AM, Eric Neff said:

Electronics are PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Monoblocks and Pre-amp. PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC and Disc Player connected via Is2. VPI Prime Signature TT with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. Simaudio Moon 610 LP Phono Pre. All AudioQuest cables including William Tell speaker cables. AudioQuest Niagara power management. Everything pairs nicely with the Quatro CT's. I love the sound.

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

I have cloth Quatros, being driven by PSE Studio V solid state mono's ............ Dean Klinefelter's old company.  Used them with my 2C's, my 3A's (later upgraded to Signature status) and now the Quatros.  They have provided years of audio fulfillment.  While I don't have $15K to part with right now, I occasionally contemplate how better the sound would be with different amps.  PS BHK 300's have always appealed to me, but now, Richard's M5-HPA's are available for the same $.  When the time comes, not sure which way I'd go.  

• Like 1

I'm getting the 5's in the Fall.  I haven't heard an amp under 30k that is close for MY money.  I have heard MANY amps, lol.  My favorite amps have been the AR mono's that cost around 30k or so.  Tons of good amps, but if you own Vandersteen speakers and are getting a new amp, make sure they are zero feedback in design as they play better in the sandbox with them design wise.  Again, it's all about system matching, not product of the day products that don't have synergy.  I know plenty who are using King's amps with Vandersteen's and like them.  Plenty of options, so hopefully you can audition.

I've heard the 5's go from 20-20k on a pair of Paradigm 7H last year and they made them sound bearable to me.  I PERSONALLY, can't listen to the top level Paradigm's as their high freq boost hurts my ears.  That speaker specs at 24hz for bass (I went to look that up for this post, lol).  I fully understand needing a different type of amp that doesn't have the crossover built in though.  As you all know, I love AR amps and preamps.  I am not a digital fan of theirs.  All companies make a 'best' component I believed.  

Also, Vinylfan20, love the set up.  Huge Brinkmann fan here.  Even their DAC is very very good.  Having to be a digital guy, I am always auditioning as many top level DAC's as I can.  Glad that so many in the digital world are willing to ship things at times for me to audition.  I should start a digital forum on the board, lol.  Most of the best sounding digital gear are from 'garage' companies just like speakers were in the 70's when Richard and some others started.  Sorry to get off track. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I think CJ shut down the McCormack Company and line a few years ago. I do not think they service  the line anymore. Steve started a new company SMc Audio in Vista CA a few years after the sale. This company does any updates for McCormack gear, pre and post CJ,, at least the models posted on his website. My DNA 1 was from the early 90’s. I had a full gold level upgrade done a year ago, before the gravity base thing was offered. They called me early in the year to offer it to me at a greatly reduced price but with Covid, I needed the amp. I sent it in last month as with all the storms this time of the year and the heat in my room, I wouldn’t be listening much anyway. The first update was excellent but the gravity base and the new rectifier and some ever newer caps upgrade is unreal. What a great sounding amp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I initially powered my 5As with a Rogue Magnum 99 preamp and Classe DR8 amps in mono.  Then moved to a beautiful and wonderful sounding Luxman integrated, 110/channel, in the interest of simplifying (I gave the Rogue pre to one of my nephews, and sent the Classe amps, along with a DR5 pre, to a great friend in Indiana).  I now have a Music Reference tubed pre, an RM5, and a wonderful tubed amp, the Music Reference RM9, SE.  I bought these Music Reference pieces after I read that their developer, the Great Roger M, had died.  I was so sad to read that, and discovered that he made 20 of the RM9SE pieces, and there were a few remaining, so I jumped at that.  I followed it with the RM5 pre.  I love the system, and the loudspeakers.   I posted a few photos today on the site.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It takes a lot of sweat and creativity to have a truckload of electronics incorporated aesthetically in your formal living room.. the only thing lacking in my setup is room treatment which I don’t see ever getting approval for from my wife.. Amps are hidden behind the speakers and the rest of the gear in the cabinet.

1FB3757E-D144-4FF3-B2A2-694D043ED33F.jpeg

F8C4BDA8-E127-42A3-9002-CDE402EF48B1.jpeg

Clean set up.  I have been thinking about putting the mono blocks behind my Quatro's to hide them.  Now that I see what you have done, I may need to sell my just purchases Audioquest William Tell's and go the short cable run (preferred).  Very nice look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this forum so please pardon my naivety. I noticed that ctsooner is thinking about selling William Tells. I am look for a set, zeros & bass 8ft. Are you serious about selling?

I am attempting to provide a photo of my humble system.

System.jpg

• Like 1

VPI Aries 3, super platter, single motor flywheel and the cart is a lyra delos. My local dealer is Ultra Fidelis in Milwaukee and the owner John set up my speakers and also my delos. I simply love the Quatro CT's!!

Other stuff: ARC REF 75SE, ARC LR27, ARC PH8, Aurender A10, Audioquest Water & Niagara. Demoing AQ William Tell Zero & Bass. Love them so far...

Support from people on forums like this one and from better dealers is key.

Pilrem, let's direct message, but yes, I'm selling and they are the 8' bi wire set with the zero's.  Jon Spelt is a GREAT guy.  I enjoyed his shop a lot and look forward to seeing him soon (wife has two new grandsons in Madison, so we get out there a lot).  Very cool Eric.  Are you in WI?  

Jon has a different way to set up his speakers. Totally different than what other Vandy dealers use, but it works GREAT based on the Kento set up I heard.  If in the midwest, he's a GREAT resource for sure.  I'd love to get out the next time Richard shows up there.  My wife would say yes to a trip out to see the grandkids, plus she owns an insurance agency here in CT and has an office in Madison (she writes commercial lines and personal lines in nearly 40 states).  I love Tosa (Wauwatosa).  She used to live there and loved it and would like us ot move there someday.